AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched Confidence last night and thought it was a very good movie. Some of the first pictures you see in this movie are close ups of Ed Burns and they're true HD quality. Spectacular! From that point on they’re probably prime time HD quality.

If you’ve watched the little known movie House of Games from years back and The Sting, you’ll get an idea what this movie is about. Now I’m not saying it’s as good as The Sting so don’t go there, only comparing the con artist style to it. Ed Burns, Andy Garcia, Paul Giamatti and Dustin Hoffman are the main stars, with Hoffman undertaking an unusual role for him, playing a bad guy and doing it well. Who really is being set up and who is playing who is a constant in this movie and had me questioning the entire time. While it wasn’t difficult to anticipate some of the twists, it still made you think; besides I enjoy movies that challenge you mentally as you watch. I wasn’t sure about this movie when I rented it, it's not one of those stocked from floor to ceiling (only one row) and I hadn’t heard anything about it, but it definitely is worth the rent.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hoffman is excellent but the plot is a little tired. Really though where is there left to go with these con job movies. Most of the "twists" were readily apparent and I always knew who was pulling the "con" I just had to figure out how.

Still it has a lot of style and it certainly was fun if not all that original.

Definitely worth watching.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Version
Hoffman is excellent but the plot is a little tired. Really though where is there left to go with these con job movies. Most of the "twists" were readily apparent and I always knew who was pulling the "con" I just had to figure out how.
Like romance films, where you *know* that the couple will get back together, con job films are about the style in showing how they get to the (inevitable) end.

However, in most con job films, the con guy exhibits some vulnerability, and I think that builds tension and risk in possibility of failure. It adds a tragic element and makes the character one you can feel for. In Jim Thompson's novels, for example, the con artist is always a lonely, sad man struggling to make his way; he *needs* the score to happen to raise himself out of his depths. When the cops are comming and he's two minutes behind schedule, the miserable con man absolutely cannot walk away. I felt that Ed Burns was so cocksure and confident in this one that the film lost the desparation element which makes a con job film gripping and emotional.

Comparing this to another film by the same director, Glengarry Glenn Ross, I thought this film was filled entirely with Men from Downtown, when it needed a character like Jack Lemmon's in GGR to give it heart.

Of recent con job films, I like The Good Thief best. I also like the french film Read My Lips. But I have not seen Matchstick Men.

·
23,032 Posts
I saw this too and I liked it alot. There was really nothing

unique about the movie or plot but it was very entertaining.

larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.