AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm only a few weeks from a finished basement with HT and would love some final advice.... I have a 13' W x 17' D HT room with the back open into another larger area, and 8' ceiling. I've prewired in the ceiling for the PJ at about 12' back from the front, and have a 98" opening, which i believe will allow me a 102" diag screen. Oddly, I seem to be down to two widely priced PJ choices, the Yamaha LP 500 or Yamaha DPX1000. I hear (and have seen) the 500 is good, but have never seen a dlp2 (all dealers are nice but largely useless for demo and knowledge/advice) I could see more "graininess" on the 500 than i would prefer, but don't know if the 1000 or other dlp2's fix/improve that? Budget wise I could go to the 1000, but as a family HT (versus videophile) user i'm wondering if thats like buying the latest pentium PC for doing spreadsheets and pulling email... and a 500 is "all I'd ever need". Ambient light is present but not huge and should be controllable with window treatment. I'm concerned about the PJ being directly above the seating, and since i'm still in the drywall stage should i move it back, or even bury it up into the soffit...

Also, any advice or direction to search for surround sound / audio.

Thanks alot, love the forum.

ctc

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
You won't be sorry about higher contrast and higher lumens for the PJ, or higher ambient rejection for the screen. You will probably want the longest throw that your projector will allow. There is a substantial difference between the two generations of chips.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Apparently a longer throw gets into the highest quality part of the lens (less optical distortion - learned that in photography and it is echoed here), but practically, you get the pj away from you and therefore it helps reduce the perceivable noise, and generally the closer you are to the angel of the incidence light, the more of the reflection light you will see, meaning you get better gain from most screens. You may get other opinions, but this is what I have heard from reliable sources.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.