AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to control my Denon 5803 and other components with an IR signal from a dedicated PC. Can anyone give me an idea where to start? I would like to build a Visual Basic program for the task. I woul like to have the PC learn the IR commands like a Pronto, and then be able to send the commands to other devices. I need links and or suggestions as to where to get the hardware to accomplish this.

I know the Denon 5803 can receive commands through it's RS 232 port but all the other components require IR.

Anyone know where to begin?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hi Greg,

The best way is to get USB-UIRT from www.usbuirt.com and Girder.

That's how I control all my A/V equipment with IR keyboard.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Check out CQC for a full featured automation software suite. I just fininished a 3803 serial driver for the Denon, and it would fairly easy to convert that one to control the 5803/4802 boxes. I'd be happy to do that driver for you if you want to send it to me. Serial control, being two way, is a far superior to IR, so it's good to use it where you can. And CQC has plenty of good IR support as well.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My system is basically what I believe you are striving for. An IBM laptop PC controls everything in the HT and all IR for the house. It is driven by a Pronto Pro, soon to be an iPronto. It talks to AV omponents via IR, or RS232. All it ever gets from the Pronto is a single IR code telling it in effect what "Button" on what screen was pressed.

When i replace it with the iPronto (it is now on order) I will first reverse engineer their communications to the NETX device. The little I have experimented with shows that the Netx is a device that receives UDP packets and will put out IR. They (the NetX devices appear to form a multicast group since the first thing the iPronto support software sends it when looking for Netx devices os to IP address 224.0.1.1).

I will knoiw more later when I have a real iPronto and real Netx. I wil then write a VB app/control that will receive the commands from the iPronto and convert them into a simple device code key code since 99% of all IR is based on that. The PC can then emit an IR signal (I use a slinke) or an RS232 sequence or run a macro or.... That is exactly what my PC in the HT does today, except it takes in IR to determine what was pressed on the Pronto Pro.

If you want to know more about my HT check out the information on www.the-gordons.net userid if asked = guest ditto for the password.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.