AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys sorta a newb here looking for some configuration help with my onkyo s5300. What mode should i have it set to during movies games and tv. I only have it set up as 5.1 atm if that makes a difference. also the back speakers are sorta quiet anyway to fix that

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Have you done any actually audio correction(manually or Audyssey)?

Any sound mode beyond "stereo" will use all 5 speakers. The rears(especially those in HTiB) are so inefficient that unless you boost them a bunch, will always be "faint".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only thing i did was boost the volume on the backs, i dunno what to select as far as modes go ive been running eveything on all channel stereo, should i switch to something like dolby digital?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps3 wont let me select dolby digital and other modes all the time but 360 and tv does, is it supposed to be like that

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
PCM is the digital audio format that home entertainment equipment is designed to process. Multichannel PCM soundtracks are quite large. So, studios use compression codecs such as DD 5.1 and DTS to save space on discs. The encoder takes a large PCM file and shrinks it using one of those codecs. The processing equipment must use the corresponding decoder to decompress the file, turning it back into PCM. If the disc has a DD 5.1 track, then you must use a DD 5.1 decoder in your receiver. The same goes for DTS sources. Fortunately, the AVR software takes care of that for you. It knows which decoder to use.

The other modes you've mentioned are called DSPs (digital signal processors). They are applied to PCM to alter it in some way. DSPs are useful with stereo sources. ProLogic II, for example, does a good job of expanding stereo to 5.1, moving dialog to the center channel and sound effects to the surrounds. PLII can't be used with DD 5.1 and DTS sources, since they are already 5.1.

I do not recommend using all channel stereo, which takes the signals in the two front channels and sends them to the other speakers. Not good. Voices that should be in front also play in the surrounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts