AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
This tool is being used by the HD-DVD studios according to comments at an HD-DVD promo event in Toronto last November.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ight=scenarist

"They had a commercial compressionist/DVD/HD/BD disc author there...

5) HD DVD and Blu-ray are completely different in terms of authoring. Basically the only major thing that can be shared is the encode, but the interactivity is programmed completely differently (as evidenced above), so it means that if a company is format neutral its authoring costs are nearly twice as much. For HD DVD they use a Sonic Scenarist solution, but for BD they're forced to also use more Sony produced software which is not user friendly. Testing is also harder on BD since there the same type of emulated HD DVD environment."

·
Registered
8,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum /forum/post/12978199

This tool is being used by the HD-DVD studios according to comments at an HD-DVD promo event in Toronto last November.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ight=scenarist

"They had a commercial compressionist/DVD/HD/BD disc author there...

5) HD DVD and Blu-ray are completely different in terms of authoring. Basically the only major thing that can be shared is the encode, but the interactivity is programmed completely differently (as evidenced above), so it means that if a company is format neutral its authoring costs are nearly twice as much. For HD DVD they use a Sonic Scenarist solution, but for BD they're forced to also use more Sony produced software which is not user friendly. Testing is also harder on BD since there the same type of emulated HD DVD environment."

My quote was not from a studio per se, but a 3rd party Canadian HD DVD/Blu-ray author.

P.S. I had posted this at AVS as well, here .

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
From the PRNewswire Sonic press release from the link provided above, I do not see that Sonic Solutions is "dropping" HD DVD support and updates. A new focus on BD? Yes. Also seems to indicate no new sales by the use of the phrase: "conclude sales of its Scenarist(R) HD DVD authoring product line".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Solutions /forum/post/0

Sonic's Professional Products Group will maintain its high-end support services as part of its SonicCare(TM) program for HD DVD customers who elect not to participate in the special promotion program and will provide software update releases where appropriate in keeping with its standard practice.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
At least they're going to throw their current HD-DVD customers a "life line" to help them make good their transition from HD-DVD to Blu-ray.

Quote:
To further enable the authoring community, Sonic will offer its Scenarist HD DVD customers a special promotion to exchange their authoring system(s) for a Scenarist BD system.
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...30012008-1.htm

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Also note the following:

Quote:
To further enable the authoring community, Sonic will offer its Scenarist HD DVD customers a special promotion to exchange their authoring system(s) for a Scenarist BD system. Sonic's Professional Products Group will maintain its high-end support services as part of its SonicCare(TM) program for HD DVD customers who elect not to participate in the special promotion program and will provide software update releases where appropriate in keeping with its standard practice.

So they are concluding sales, offering some type of exchange program as incentive, but will continue some level of support for HD DVD customers who do not participate.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I wonder if Ben and Amir are on vacation. They should have been here by now...

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12979474

Please everyone, do not respond to the ^^^^ post. It is nothing more than a tactic to get the thread deleted or locked

Is this what happened to the previous thread?

It's the second time a news thread I posted got deleted.

I'd be interested to know how widely this software is used, but of course all shops that have it will be able to keep using it. I wonder if they'll take the buyout for a portion of their seats, and just keep a couple of licenses?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User /forum/post/12979574

I wonder if Ben and Amir are on vacation. They should have been here by now...

But I see the other warring faction is here in hordes.

P.S. Your comment was totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm sure free muxer options will be available sometime in the near future to get a BD stream HD DVD compliant, assuming the encode is within HD DVD parameters.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/12979631

But I see the other warring faction is here in hordes.

P.S. Your comment was totally unnecessary.

I'm just surprised that the MS representatives haven't come in and given their two cents on the matter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do they know something we dont?

Why would they drop HD DVD if studios are using their software.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelse /forum/post/12980635

Do they know something we dont?

Notice how quiet things have been lately? Very little news? Toshiba players being discontinued at Circuit City, etc, and no new model announcements?

This thing has a giant whiff of "format war over" coming from it.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:

By the way, studios weren't using their software. Their software was a knockoff of other peoples software, including the authoring software used by the big studios.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.