AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony just released a rambling update to it corporate strategy through fiscal year 2010. An interesting read for fans and competitors alike as Sony lays bare initiatives intent on moving Sony from recovery to the "leading global provider of networked consumer electronics and entertainment." Most notable in the near-term however, is word from Kazuo Hirai, chieftain of Sony Computer Entertainment, that Sony will make a movie download service available to US PlayStation 3 owners this summer -- Japan and Europe at later dates with details coming "next month," presumably at E3. Moreover, Sony expects its gaming business to achieve profitability by March 2009, the end of the current fiscal year. Of course, we already knew that Sony was prepped to deliver full-length TV shows and movies sometime in 2008 via its North American PLAYSTATION Network. But summer, eh? Judging by the increased molecular agitation of sidewalk effluence, we'd say that Sony's season of movie downloads is already upon us.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/26/s...s-this-summer/

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Movie rentals would certainly dig them out of the hole faster. I am really looking forward to MS and Sony competing in this arena. Right now Apple and MS are just a tad too expensive. More competition should change that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If it's better quality and/or cheaper than pay-per-view from the cable company it should be a hit. Otherwise, there's not much point.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well pay per view is only a list of certain movies at certain times. This system will allow you to pick from a long list of movies. This could be a huge revenue stream.

The HD movies probably won't be able to compete with blu-ray though. That's just not possible right now, not enough broadband. It will be some kind of reduced quality still passed off as HD like what Apple is doing. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Even though this move makes sense to directly compete with Live Marketplace, it seems almost like they're undermining their Blu-Ray strategy with this service. It will be reduced quality for sure, but more than good enough for most people not to notice.

I'll be sticking with my BDs, thanks...if for no other reason than I expect the download times to be fairly horrific, given that the PS Network seems kinda slow in general.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
HD or SD movies.

SD movies would be "who cares"..kinda like they are on LIVE...but HD movies..well this could be interesting..what codec are they going to use?? How will they compress to make them reasonable downloads...720p or 1080p?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/14164920

HD or SD movies.

SD movies would be "who cares"..kinda like they are on LIVE...but HD movies..well this could be interesting..what codec are they going to use?? How will they compress to make them reasonable downloads...720p or 1080p?

Renting 720p movies wouldn't be that bad. It wouldn't be on-demand, but you can pick something out in the evening before you go to bed and watch it the next day, or have it download while you're at work for the evening.

Of course, the server had better be speedy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well this should put to rest all the insinuations that the PS3 is incapable of reading/writing files beyond 2GB.

So i guess we can assume that the movie downloads will be about the size of a DVD movie 6-9GB and hence whithout the visual or audio quality of a Blu-ray movie (just in case anyone thought it came close).

I am sure that the PS3 will do a good job of upconverting the picture quality though.

I cannot imagine that this would undermine the Blu-ray sales, especially since (i guess) these would be movie rentals and using some DRM would lock to one PSN account and possibly stop working after either a few playbacks or a few days after downloading the movie.

Most people will always like the ability to own there own Media, especially if it is a movie worth watching more than once.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I can't even imagine how long it would take to download each movie and then how much space it would take up on the hard drive.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp /forum/post/14165062

I can't even imagine how long it would take to download each movie and then how much space it would take up on the hard drive.

Well, since verizon just finished digging up my sidewalk to put in fiber i will be getting FIOS soon (so that takes care of DL time).

Once they release the service i will upgrade my HD to 350GB so that should allow me to have enough space for renting movies and buying music (i hope they have a music service ).

-Kurt

·
Registered
942 Posts
Well I guess that leaves us users with 3 options:

1. Good quality - Buy/rent DVD's

2. Better quality/sound - use Download services like the PS3 store

3. Best quality - buy Blu-Ray

For me, when it is a "chick-flick", I could care less if I watch it on DVD, download service or Blu-ray.

However, when it comes to drama, sci-fi, kid movies, then I will most likely buy or rent the Blu-Ray edition, so I think the Service can work. Will give us more choice I guess.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp /forum/post/14165062

HD movies on XBLVM are about 6 gigs, so delete that Haze install. And XBLVM lets you more or less stream a movie, so you don't need to wait for the whole thing to download. I am sure Sony will do the same thing.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
6 gigs seems kind of large for a download, or more than I was expecting. Hour-long TV episodes are about 1.5gig and the quality is fine. Not immaculate, but fine. I suppose these downloads also include 5.1 or better audio though.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner /forum/post/14165178

Well I guess that leaves us users with 3 options:

1. Good quality - Buy/rent DVD's

2. Better quality/sound - use Download services like the PS3 store

3. Best quality - buy Blu-Ray

For me, when it is a "chick-flick", I could care less if I watch it on DVD, download service or Blu-ray.

However, when it comes to drama, sci-fi, kid movies, then I will most likely buy or rent the Blu-Ray edition, so I think the Service can work. Will give us more choice I guess.

That would be my reasoning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A la Netflix streaming. That would be sweet, too, for many things. And these PR types do not seem to understand the difference.

Anyway, streaming TV shows (which I do not need or really want in HD with very few exceptions) would be awesome. And maybe a flat fee per month; or partner with Netflix/Blockbuster.

On the whole, I am just glad that Sony is going to begin these services on the PS3, and not try to have a separate box that you have to buy. They have tried that kind of thing before.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can see this working extremely well if they give the "play while downloading" option that their trailers have. I am usually able to let those videos load until 10% or so then play them til the end with no pauses or anything.

Those are 720p HD trailers... so if this is compressed HD, then I can see it working quite well! Man I love technology. Bye bye blockbuster (hopefully!)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevuda /forum/post/14165439

Bye bye blockbuster (hopefully!)

Ugh. I said bye bye to them years ago.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If ISPs like TWC Road Runner implement bandwidth caps, none of this is going to matter. I'm not going to use my bandwidth up watching movies from Sony. Of course, I don't have TWC for content either (satellite), so nobody wins.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14164951

Of course, the server had better be speedy.

yeah, if it's psn speeds then I won't bother. If it's decent though it should be a good compliment to the live marketplace for hd rentals, and hopefully more competition will lead to better pricing for us.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtkbee /forum/post/14164978

Well this should put to rest all the insinuations that the PS3 is incapable of reading/writing files beyond 2GB.

So i guess we can assume that the movie downloads will be about the size of a DVD movie 6-9GB and hence whithout the visual or audio quality of a Blu-ray movie (just in case anyone thought it came close).

True, indeed. However, PS3's hard drive is formatted FAT32, which has a 4gb file size limit. How will these downloaded videos over 4gb work? The PS3 literally cannot recognize any file over that size. Maybe a future firmware update will alow NTFS formatted hard drives, which would be freakin' sweet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts