AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that I've started receiving messages on my replay 5xxx warning me about how show xxxx conflicts with show yyyy and if I don't do anythink show yyyy will win. (By 'receiving messages' I mean that if I go into the setup menu and scroll to 'messages', there are a slew of these warnings.) I've been receiving these kinds of messges since April 24th. I don't get them on my 4xxx, though (or maybe there were no conflicts to report?). I'd say I have received about five or six of them...unfortunately, my son deleted the messages before I could study them to figure out exactly what circumstances caused the conflict that they reported on.

Maybe I missed a beat here on the forum, but I don't remember seeing anyone post about this, and I don't see anything about it when I search. In fact, when I search, I get a post from LB on April 29th asking for this exact feature: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ict#post215857

Is everyone getting these?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
wow... that's great news, and a significant improvement in the 5.0 software we didn't hear about before.

If only they would put it on the earlier models (where it should have been all along)

Robert

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have no idea whether I've been upgraded -- it never occurred to me to check. I just figured that they have enough info from myreplay to be able to send these kinds of messages from the company end. Although I signed up for the 5.0 beta I never got notified that I was selected and I haven't checked. Anyway, I'll go check now to see if I've got 5.0 but in fairness (NDA) I won't be posting back the answer either way.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The current software is not 5.0. It is build 50 of I think 4.5?

The message just say there was a conflict and a recording had to be abandoned. If you schedule a recording on the 5000 that conflicts, you get a prompt asking what to do. If the conflict happens due to a schedule change, the machine makes the choice and tells you in a message.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Alan,

Are you sure these aren't the messages that tell you that 2 guaranteed shows were in conflict and show xxx had won out over show yyy?

These messages have been part of the software going back to 3.0 I believe. Last season when Survivor moved to Wednesday for a few weeks it came into conflict with Ed. Both were show-based, guaranteed recordings. Since Ed was a rerun I let it go to see what would happen. The showstopper chose to record Ed because it was the older channel. A message appeared in the messages area after the fact telling me why Survivor didn't record, but it didn't give me any kind of advanced warning.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I second that. I've seen "after the fact" messages for a while, even in SS days, but never seen advanced warning.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
I second that. I've seen "after the fact" messages for a while, even in SS days, but never seen advanced warning.
My #1 requested feature

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, the messages got deleted before I could really examine them so I can't really say for sure whether the message was after the fact or prospective. I assume you right that it's after the fact (in which case this was a pretty stupid post on my part), but I'll keep my eye out next time this happens.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
I assume you right that it's after the fact (in which case this was a pretty stupid post on my part), but I'll keep my eye out next time this happens.
If you want to generate a conflict situation to test this out, this page will give you some choices:

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/NBC_Sneak_Preview/

I think your best candidates will be

Fri 05/09 10:00-11:00p NBC Law & Order: SVU

which is currently a 1 hour episode, but NBC claims will become a 2 hour episode for the finale on 5/16 (which isn't in your guide data yet, so Replay can't know about the conflict when you schedule it) All you need to do is schedule the Fri 5/9 L&O:SVU 10-11pm and schedule some other repeating show for Fri 9-10pm and it should eventually become a conflict when the correct guide data shows up.

The next best choice if you miss that one would be:

Sun 05/11 9:00p-10:00p NBC Law & Order: CI

which will be a 1 hour episode for the next 2 showings (5/4 and 5/11), but NBC claims will become a 2 hour episode for the finale on 5/18.

If NBC schedules 2 x 1-hour episodes instead of 1 x 2-hour episode then that screws everything up and I apologize for wasting your time.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Alan's next post:

Details are sketchy but I swear my 5040 now has a to-do list. It also knows who shot JFK, what happened to Amelia Earhart and both the cure for cancer and the secret to cold fusion. Unfortunately my wood block hard drive mount burst into flames before I could write down the info.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I thought he was scheduled to announce that he had successfully cloned a human but couldn't reveal the parents because they were afraid of public backlash :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
Alan's next post:

Details are sketchy but I swear my 5040 now has a to-do list....
No, but what's that odd dancing clown doing there? And suddenly my replay thinks I'm gay (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I get the conflict messages on my 4508 - got one Friday when CSI Miami (guaranteed) was on Friday 10 vs L&O SVU (guaranteed). It gave L&O SVU the priority (which was fine by me) - I have no idea why though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.