Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When RTV find that 2 or more not-guarantied shows should be recorded,

which one will be recorded?

Is it possible to specify a priority in any way for guarantied and not-guarantied recordings?

·
Registered
915 Posts
At the moment, you can't specify a priority. The current model is used.

1. Guaranteed always takes priority.

2. If the status is the same, show-based take priority over themes or zones-based recordings.

3. If it's two showbased, the one that was setup first takes precedence.

4. If two themes or zones, then the one on the lower channel takes precedence.

The conflict resoution is one of the things that users have requested be changed.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Here's the basic algorithm I use in replaySchedule for conflict resolution. If anyone sees an obvious bug or flaw please let me know.

# ReplayTV conflict resolution in order of priority:

# 1. Guaranteed single-record or show-based recurring channels

# 2. For single/single single/recurring recurring/recurring conflicts,

# channel created first wins.

# 3. Guaranteed theme-based or zone-based channels

# 4. For theme/theme theme/zone zone/zone conflicts,

# the show starting first wins or, if they start

# at same time then the show airing on the lowest

# channel number wins.

# ---- Same pattern repeats for non-guaranteed channels ----

# Other reasons for a show NOT to be recorded:

# - Channel is full (i.e. total time alloted is exceeded)

# o Recurring/Theme/Zone based channels recycle a show only after 24

# hours.

# ALGORITHM:

# MainPriority = 0 if non-guaranteed

# MainPriority = 100 if guaranteed

# MainPriority += 11 if single

# MainPriority += 10 if recurring

# MainPriority += 6 if theme

# MainPriority += 5 if zone

#

# SubPriority = 1.0e8/(channel ustart) if single or recurring

# SubPriority = 1/(program channel #) if theme or zone

# Total Priority = MainPriority + SubPriority

#

# if single or recurring

# Highest Total Priority wins

# if theme or zone

# Show starting first wins OR if both start at same time:

# Highest Total Priority wins

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
Here's the basic algorithm I use in replaySchedule for conflict resolution.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is replaySchedule? I haven't seen any mention of this software before and a quick web search didn't yield any hits.

Whatever it is, it probably doesn't work with the 5xxx units anyway so it probably doesn't matter that I never heard of it before :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
This is a program I put together that generates a recording schedule for your Replay (A.K.A To-Do list), and yes it does/should work for 5K units although I don't have much feedback on that (I own 2 4xxx units so that's what I test with).

Unfortunately I don't have access to a web-server where I can dump the program for general access so I have posted updates occasionally to threads in this forum. What's strange is a search for "replaySchedule" in this forum doesn't return a match for the latest thread with the latest version.

I can email or PM you the latest version if you like.

If anyone has ideas about how I could go about finding an official Web home for replaySchedule where I could post updates I'm all ears.

-Kevin

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by igorft
replaySchedule guy,

I my opinion It would be nice to be able to setup priority for the equal shows and not rely on smaller channel number.

What do you think about those wanted features:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...78#post1609378

If you like it, can you do it?

Please PM me a link to your software.

Thanks
igorft, the idea of this program is to mimic as closely as possible what Replay will likely record based on it's own prioritizing algorithm so you can have an idea of what will be recorded and what will not. This program in no way actually controls what WILL be recorded, though that is an interesting idea and could possibly be implemented by using some of the algorithms in this program combined with myreplaytv.com.

Attached find latest win32 version of replaySchedule. Note you will also need XMLTV software to go along with this program (read the README.txt file).

-Kevin

rs-18.zip 71.4765625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Or you could send commands in real time to the RTV over the LAN. Isn't there a remote program like that floating around?

Cheers

EDIT:

Here it is:
LAN Remote Program

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Anyone else think that ReplayLyndon's post in this thread is a very subtle hint?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Anyone else think that ReplayLyndon's post in this thread is a very subtle hint?
I can only hope it's more than a subtle hint. Many people have been clamoring for better conflict resolution and To-Do list for a long time now. Adding this capability would really give TIVO something to worry about.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You know... I was thinking more about this idea of controlling the RTV in real time from a networked PC. This would be great. Then we could basically write our own software and scripts to control it. This would solve the ToDo list, the conflict problems, multi-unit scheduling (PC master, RTV's slaves), and who knows what else.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Yes, all the pieces are already there to do this. I also have been thinking seriously about the possibilities. The only possible problem I foresee is after you have setup all upcoming recordings there may be a lot of single-record channels to be setup on the replay at once (as well as existing recording setups to delete on the Replay) so using the LAN remote program type software I don't think would cut it since it would take a long time to do and one missed command could screw everything up. If the program could update your myreplaytv.com account with the information then a simple net connect would update your replay -- but I don't know how reliable channel updates from myreplaytv.com really are (I never use it).

In any case it sounds like a very exciting project to work on! Unless of course SB is working on this -- ReplayLyndon, any more "hints"??

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Bump. I can't believe everyone isn't responding to this.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
...I can't believe everyone isn't responding to this.
Responding to what?

Maybe a comprehensive new hive management project needs it's own thread?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
A very subtle hint of what?

BrettStah what does it suggest to you "At the moment"? :)

(and what kind of a timetable were you reading into it?)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Well, it suggests to me (very subtly though, as I said! :)) that some sort of enhanced prioritization functionality is coming for the 4000 and above Replays, probably in the next version. (It could be being beta tested right now).

All I'm basing this on is Lyndon's post though, so I may be reading too much into it...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Nope... I was of course referring to the next software version, but you knew that, right? :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The suspense is killing me :) Guilty until proven innocent... ReplayLyndon, where art thou?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Nope... I was of course referring to the next software version, but you knew that, right? :)
Yep that's what I meant by functionality "model" since that's the way ReplayLyndon denoted it. As to which future software version... who knows? The immediate one would surely be pushing it.

So you'd guess it will be right away?

I just don't think it's a huge priority (pun intended) all things considered. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.