AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a conflict. Rent the SD movie now or wait and see if it comes out on HD.

I have rented a few great movies on SD and then a couple of weeks later they are announced for HDDVD or Blu Ray. Dammit I should have waited! I then watch it again in HD anyway.

What do you do, rent or buy now on SD and then again on HD? Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is one I want to rent but will it come out soon on HDDVD or Blu Ray? I am sure it will if I rent today and not wait. If I wait I am sure it will never come out!

The video store shelves are full of movies I am waiting on, will they or won't they? I am sure they all will eventually but that could be years from now.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I'm kind of skeptical that everything that has shown up on DVD will show up on HD DVD/BD. Sometimes I think that the only reason many titles ended up on DVD was because of the change in the media (from tape to disc) rather than the increase in quality.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Enjoy the movie not the format...

If its available in hidef get it but if not its not the end of the world, rent it and have fun now.

IF it ever comes out on either format, at least you will know if its a good movie and it becomes an easy buy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unfortunately, we never really know how long studios will take or if they ever will release certain stuff on hi def dvd's.
I wish we could get some consistency on new releases or at least a good calendar schedule for releases for all studios. If they want the hi-def dvd's to do well they should information about it readily availible.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
There are many great movies and not enough time. I generally do not time to watch the same movie more than once (so why have I bought >1,400 DVDs and >100 HD DVD and Blu-ray? My wife asks the same question). So I would pick out HD movies I haven't seen rather than watch SD DVD.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rent almost all the movies I watch and the problem is I really want to see the movie when if first comes out but now have been holding back on the big titles to wait for the hd version. Some movies I don't mind watching again in hd but others it's a one time viewing.

Like I said, if I knew when the big ones were coming out this would be much easier.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Quote:
What a conflict. Rent the SD movie now or wait and see if it comes out on HD

I don't understand?

You don't want to watch the movie now because you want to wait and see if it is in HD?

Personally I do what I want today. I am not going to let the incessant march of technology deprive me of enjoyment. If there is something I want to watch I will watch it. Although I don't rent and never have, if there is an SD DVD out that I want I buy it.

Life is too short!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.