AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My signal strength from the DirecTV 119 satellite is pretty poor and has been since my elliptical dish was installed. The installer blamed the trees so he left me with signal strength in the high 70s from the 101 satellite and mid-20s from 119. For some reason my 119 signal strength seems to have dropped into the teens since yesterday (we did have some high winds overnight). I decided to climb out on my roof this afternoon to do a first-hand evaluation of my dish alignment. So the first thing I did was check my Mits SR-HD5 receiver to see what it said to use for azimuth, elevation and tilt. Then, just to confirm, I did the same thing with my Sony DirecTV receiver and it gave me different numbers.

For Zip Code 06335:

Code:
Code:
Mits SR-HD5    Sony DirecTiVo
----------     ---------------     ---------------
Azimuth             256                 233
Elevation             29                   33
Tilt                       55                  56
I know that the settings that the receiver gives you are just close estimates and that I should expect to have to tweak the positioning to maximize the signal strength, but the 23 degree azimuth setting difference seems awfully big to me.

Anyway, I then climbed out on the roof and looked at my dish. I didn't have a compas handy so I couldn't check the azimuth. I did bring a level with me and the vertical support appears to be exactly vertical. The tilt bracket appeared to be set at about 57 degrees. I wasn't sure exactly how to read the elevation setting but if it is based on the position of the bolt then it looked to be in the range of 37-38 degrees. The dish seemed to be pretty solid so I'm not sure why my signal strength seems to have dropped this weekend.

Before I start moving my dish around can anyone point me to an online site with info on how to position an elliptical dish? I'd like to have another set of positioning info before I start messing around.

------------------
-McD-

[This message has been edited by Dreimiller (edited 10-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dreimiller (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but to be honest with you, it's mostly trial and error at this point. You ALREADY have signal aquisition from both birds so the setting won't do you much good at this point. They are a STARTING point and will vary slightly anyway depending on plumbness of your mast and probably 10 other things too. You are beyond needing the "settings." That's the good news. Unfortunately, that's the bad news too. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

LOCK the tilt at about 55.5 and LEAVE IT ALONE then just play with SLIGHT MOVEMENTS in ALT and AZ until it's fine tuned. NEVER MOVE THE TILT. It is a FIXED position relative to your longitude and latitude and gives the curve of the satellites' orbits. It NEVER changes. Given the close relative proximity of 101 and 119, slight variances won't really hurt anything BUT trying to change x,y and z at the SAME time can be a total nightmare. Been there. Done that! LOL

A signal meter on 101 is ideal with a small B&W set and an IRD "up there" with you being a close second. Walkie-Talkies with someone in the house watching the meter is a long distance third option. It's just T&E as I said. I've got'em perfect in 20 minutes and I've worked on them a half a day. It really depends on how lucky you are unfortunately (and also how plumb everything is).

Here's one clue I'd read between the lines from what you have given us: your TILT is either WAY OFF or you mast is not PERFECTLY plumb. It's virtually impossible to get those grossly different readings from 101 and 119 unless these are true OR there is a SERIOUS obstacle in the way of the 119 signal.

I'm really surprised you were able to watch ANYTHING with anywhere near the signal strengths you described. They are EXCESSIVELY LOW and until you get everything at LEAST in the 80's (IMHO), you're likely not to see any stability in your ability to watch DTV.

Good luck!

BTW... I just re-read your post even closer and yes; that 1.5 degree difference in your tilt setting is in all likelihood, the most viable culprit. Get a LEVEL and check the plumbness of the mast. "Eyeballing" it won't get it. It HAS to be right. The ovals are WAY more sensitive to this (because of the TILT) than the 18"ers are. This HAS to be virtually perfect.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing that you have to remember is that when you survey your site for the elliptical dish, is that you must get the azimuth and elevation of each sat as if you where going to put up individual dishes for each satellite. The reason for this is to make sure that each sat can be seen from the location that you picked for the elliptical dish. The azimuth and elevation given by the receiver is the center aiming point for the elliptical dish to hit both sats. Go to this site to get the exact azimuth and elevation.
http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html

Click the 101 and 119 and also put in your zip and follow the directions. Important to note that the azimuth is not magnetic bearing and requires the proper offset.

P Joy

------------------

HDjunky

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Dreimiller,

Your biggest problem is looking at the Sony settings at all. They are for a single round dish, not an elliptical.

From the RCA zip site: http://www.rca.com/directv/zip_code_selection

101 only is 234.8 az and 33.9 elevation

Elliptical should be 244.4 az 28.8 el 55.4 tilt. Looks like the site is correcting for magnetic north, but as far as plumb & locking in tilt & elevation, swinging left & right is the easy part.

Tim

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dreimiller, I also have a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo and the Mits SR-HD5 HD receiver and I experienced the same problem as you.

I bought the T60 and my 24" dish first and had a hell of a time aligning the dish using the settings from the T60, even though I've previously installed three 18" dishes. About a month later I bought the HD5 and the settings were quite a bit different and much closer to what I eventually ended up with by trial and error. Rudolpht is right, the settings that the T60 shows for the 18" dish and the 24" dish are identical for both dishes and we know that's incorrect.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the receiver says should be correct, you're correct when you have the maximum signal you can get. If the tilt is right, rotating the dish on the mast and tilting the dish up and down will eventually get you the optimum signal. Unless of course, the trees really are a problem.

------------------

Tom

Mitsubishi WS-65907 HD RPTV

Mitsubishi SR-HD5 HD receiver

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.