AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my two finalists but I'm confused.

70" xbr sony and samsung dlp 61"

What do you guys think?

I think I'm leaning toward the 70", because I have a

65" now and don't want to go smaller.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Jimmy

:confused:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think you answered your own question. If you can afford the premium of the 70" over the 61" (over $1500 based on a quick internet search - that gets you 9", an ATSC tuner, and firewire input), and you want the larger screen, why wouldn't you go for it? Obviously, you have to be familiar and comfortable with each technology's shortcomings, all well documented here, but they're both excellent TV's (I own the Sammy). Of course, you could always wait for the 73" Sammy (mentioned, but not displayed at CES), but that probably won't be out until later this year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is quite a difference in size between a 60 and 70. That 70 is not only wider but add the speakers that stick out too. In my mind those speakers are a negative in an otherwise great set. Picture wise, a toss up I would say. I think the XBR and the Samy DLP are pretty much dead even on PQ.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think viewing distance really comes into play here. The screen door effect is more noticeable on lcd than it is on dlp. It will be even more noticeable on a 9" larger screen. What is your viewing distance?

I have to admit that the 70" Sony is an impressive set. It does not need to be turned on to get that Wow! effect.

·
Registered
149 Posts
have the 70 XBR with a 15' viewing distance; very pleased. Sampling (to me anyway) has pictures good on DLP or LCD sets; but text slightly better on the Sony (that may just be my eyes); though analog shadows visible in other than pro mode (but HD fabulous). Welcome the tuner as well. The bottom line; would make the same decision; there is nothing like it at 70" that's available now; and certainly not in the price range. Superb set.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have a 65" toshiba cinema series, less than 2 years old.

The only reason I'm changing this set is, it

won't go in my basement, its to tall. I have a straight shot into

the basement so the 70" sony wouldn't be a problem.

I looked at the 73"mitsu my cousin has it. It's a monster cabinet, but

I plan on playing viewing games more often on my new set.

So CRT's are out of the question this time around.

Don't want to think about burn in.

When did samsung say it was coming out with a 73" set.

Is it a DLP?

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyvettes

When did samsung say it was coming out with a 73" set.

Is it a DLP?
Samsung hasn't said anything. There have been new advertisements that list screen sizes and along with the 43" screen not being included the 73" screen was included. No one has passed on any sort of announcement.

You may remember that there was supposed to be a HLN619 with a built in tuner late in 2003. It never showed up. It would be hard to make plans around the 73" set.

If you have the viewing distance to avoid SDE I would go with the XBR. UMR has even done some tweaking on it. The 60" XBR tempted me but I can't get the side mounted speakers approved by the steering committee. :)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
"Have you thought of going with the Optoma 65-inch DLP? I believe that currently that's the biggest DLP set produced"

Not in the same ballpark $$$ wise...

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.