AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking through the threads and it seems that 6.1 and 7.1 are pretty much the same because the rear 2 signals in 7.1 both get the same signal.

Where does THX fit into things? I am now thinking about looking for a 7.1 rather than 6.1 receiver because I have heard that even though the signal is the same the 2 speakers give a fuller sound and I would have to end up buying speakers in pairs anyway.

Does the fact that the Onkyo 898 or 797 have THX select and THX-EX give them any advantage over the Denon 3082?. Other posts with this type of subject haven't really cleared it up totaly for me. Will the 3082 play and decode all the 6.1/7.1 soundtracks that the THX Onkyo's will?

If so I could save a few hundred bucks by getting the Denon instead of the Onkyo that would be great, i just dont want to be missing out on any DVD's that play better through an Onkyo.

Sorry if this was answered already, did a search which helped a bit but didn't really answer all my questions.

Steve

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Here is a site that does a pretty good job of explaining the different surround formats and THX.

http://www.whatvideotv.com/articles/...06_sound.shtml

Don't let THX be the determining factor on your decision.

Much of my equipment is THX certified but I wouldn't rule out equipment that wasn't if I were upgrading.

Remember, THX is a certification with some features added in, not it's own format.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.