AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer VXS-1131 that is suppose to 170w per channel, I have old Yamaha receiver from the late 70's
that will just blow away the Pioneer. Also a old Pioneer SX750 that will do the same. I think the Yamaha is 70 watt and the SX750 is 50 ??...Why is this

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
In the 70 into the 90's, there was a rule that said vendor need to disclose certain information and consistently so consumer can compare, one of the items was vendor must give RMS power rating and be sustained at 1/3 full power for 1 hour.

Thanks to your bought politicians, such rule no longer exists and now power rating is loosy-goosy.

·
Administrator
19,587 Posts
Your new car’s stock stereo is also not the advertised 900 watts. :cool:

These numbers have needed to be taken with many grains of salt for decades now.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
BS Output power statements are rampant...
The Federal Trade Commission has backed off for any monitoring of advertising claims for output power disclosures..
Best solution is to stay with the established audio brands as they tend to be more honest however... Since the markets today are global and connected by the internet, for example in Europe certain audio brands still publish DIN peak power.... :rolleyes:
But then again here in the USA some brands like Pyle tend to push BS output power specs..
For example... One can buy a 3KW amplifier for $132...o_Oo_O

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the AVR can do other things that these older receivers just can not do, but its not even close far as two channel sound goes. I say the AVR is roughly 70% less power..Shows sometimes the vintage stuff may be better and by a lot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are some YouTube channels that do amp power testing. Look for amp dyno. Mostly car audio stuff, but there are some AVR and home theater power amp tests out there. Not so much to get recommendations or individual specifications, but to learn what to look for in a product. Sometimes the weight of an amp gives away its capabilities (or lack of).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a Pioneer VXS-1131 that is suppose to 170w per channel,....
No, it is 170 watts ONE channel (1kHz,1%[email protected] 1ch Driven) AT 1khz 6 ohm with one percent distortion.
It is 100 watts PER channel for two channels (stereo) [From their web site]

So it's probably 60 watts all channels driven full frequency range, if that.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I say the AVR is roughly 70% less power..Shows sometimes the vintage stuff may be better and by a lot.
There are several youtube channels on refurbishing vintages and you get to see what is inside, very beefy power supplies, coke-can capacitors, taking 3/4 of the enclosure, and they are stereo, now they are trying to stuff, 5+ channels of amplification in a similar sized chassis, something gotta give, there is no magic.

Separates if u can afford it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts