AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite 710HD and just got a Pansasonic Tu-HDs20. I also have OTA. I'm confused about the display format. Which mode would anyone recommend for general DirectTV viewing and the occasional HD broadcast?

The 710HD doesn't do 720p so I guess I can cross that out. Is native a good choice? or hybrid? I find that if I leave it on 1080i I get extreme blurriness on some channels (like NBC).

I'm assuming that the display ration is not remote-controllable. That is really a shame. Thanks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have this STB and an Elite 510HD. For DirecTV and OTA 4:3 content I set the box to 4:3 and 480i output. This allows me to utilize the superior line-doubling and 3/2 pulldown circuitry while allowing me access to all the available aspect controls and covers most of my viewing. (Personally I prefer "Natural Wide" and have found that after 5 minutes of viewing, it doesn't appear stretched at all. But this aspect ratio stuff seems like religion around here so substitute your own favorite mode.) This also protects my CRTs from uneven burn in which even the grey sidebars do not protect you from entirely. If I want to watch HD material I just switch the box back to 16:9 aspect and Hybrid mode. Its a PITA but its better than being stuck in full mode and using the mediocre line doubling capabilities of the box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.