AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DTV oval dish with a built-in multiswitch and four individuals runs into my house. At the end one of those runs I want to connect two DSS receivers (but can't afford to use two separate runs because I need them elsewhere). I've tried a 2 GHZ splitter, but as you probably know, this doesn't work very well, and at times, neither receiver can see the dish. Do I need a separate multiplexer or diplexer at the end of this run? I know this may have been answered in a thread somewhere, but I did some searches and couldn't come up with my exact scenario, so please bear with me if this has been answered. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Jm..

You need a separate run. A multiswitch is not a combiner. All of the channels from all of the satellites are not available at the same time on any one line. Each receiver sends a signal upstream to the multiswitch that tells it which set of transponders the receiver needs. It does this by a combination of voltage and a 22khz tone. The MS then switches the line to the proper LNB in much the same way an old-time telephone operator used to hook together a caller with the party he requested.

Because of the polarization scheme, only 18 transponders can be available on any one line at any one time. You found that out when you split the line and each receiver could only get the same set of channels from the same satellite.

Since you have an integrated multiswitch, if you need more than four receivers hooked up, you'll need to look into a cascading multiswitch. Search this forum for "Spaun" to learn more. (Spaun makes one of the few multiswitches that will cascade a multi-satellite arrangement)

Good luck

Doc

PS: Don't know why you needed two receivers in the same place, but if you're split-screening football like I do, you can pick up a 2.4Ghz audio/video transmitter/receiver combo and put it on one of the receivers in another room. Radio shack has one for 80 bucks. And a couple of companies make products that carry back the remote control signals, saving you a lot of walking .

If you can live with MOVING a receiver from room to room, let me know and I'll tell you how to use that 2Ghz splitter to do that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watching two football games is one reason I need two boxes there, the other is that I want one box hooked up to my ReplayTV and the other in HD mode (which ReplayTV can't handle).

I'm intrigued about your question about MOVING a receiver from one room to another using a splitter....what do you mean by that?

By the way, I have three boxes hooked up now, so I could make that fourth run to the same room....I was just trying to avoid doing the work I'd need to do to do that....but maybe it can't be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
If you're going to do the Replay thing, I'd recommend running the fourth line to that room.

As for the splitter, let's say you have four lines coming from the multswitch, but 5 rooms you want to watch TV in. Rooms 1 - 4 have lines run to them; room five does not. Room 5 is only an occassional thing. There will never be a need for all five rooms to be watching simultaneously. You're planning to move the receiver from room three to room five when you want to watch TV in there. You'd then put that splitter upstream from room three and run the second output of that splitter to room five. This gives you a _connection_ in both rooms. But the connections are tied to one output of the multiswitch.

Since those two connections will never be in use simultaneously, you can split the line as described. You must make sure that the splitter passes DC voltage upstream on both sides (some don't).

Remember, you're presuming the receiver in room three will be UNHOOKED and moved to room five. Receivers continue to output voltage even when not in use. Connecting two receivers to a split line, even if one of them is turned off, will duplicate the symptoms you had before.

Also note that splitters may or may not pass the 22khz tone, so any receiver connected to such a split line might not be able to access channels on Sat B or C.

Good luck.

Doc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.