AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got the DTB-H260F and I'm a bit confused.. I don't really know anything about HD -- all I know is my tv didn't have a tuner so I went out and bought this and now I'm trying to set it up.

I have regular cable... but I wanted to atleast get my local HD channels.

So I first plugged the box into my cable and did a scan. It found a bunch of channels, however I only received signal from a few and they were really spread out.

76-1 Fox10 (Crappy)

80-1 - Channel 15 WOF (HD)

80-2 Channel 5 (HD)

81-1 Channel 8 (HD)

81-2 Fox12 (HD)

81-3 ??

81-4 (Fox12) (480)

Then I decided to try going with an antenna instead and scanned again and got all my channels together (and the guide worked, it didnt work with the cable connection) however when i use the antenna I only get 2 HD channels.

So.. if I use my cable to get HD channels.. is that the correct way? I currently use cox for my cable.

My zip code is 85048 if that helps. I looked at Antennaweb and saw a bunch of channels... I prefer to use the cable connection so I don't have to mess with the antenna.

Any help you can provide would be great.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your cable company is offering your local channels in unencrypted QAM which the QAM tuner section of the receiver is picking up.

With the antenna you are using the ATSC side and you need to make sure you have the proper antenna and are in range of your local stations to receive them.

QAM would be the easier method since you already pay for basic cable but you already know the short comings. Looking at your antennaweb results, you are right on top of your local towers, you should be able to pick your channels up with a basic indoor UHF antenna.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optize /forum/post/0

So.. if I use my cable to get HD channels.. is that the correct way? I currently use cox for my cable.

My zip code is 85048 if that helps. I looked at Antennaweb and saw a bunch of channels... I prefer to use the cable connection so I don't have to mess with the antenna.

Does your cable company provide all the HD locals, including the CW, PBS, and My Network (if the local stations are broadcasting in HD)? Many cable companies do not yet provide all the local stations on the HD or digital tier because of bandwidth limits or the local station is demanding money for carry rights to the digital signal (see Mediacom versus Sinclair).

Your zip code shows that you are very close to a large number of digital stations, all currently broadcasting on UHF and all in the same direction. So long as your house does have local obstructions - such as stucco exterior, a Silver Sensor UHF antenna is a good starting point to try to get all of your locals. Do not get an amplified antenna as that will make things worse at such a close range. Circuit City has been selling the Silver Sensor under the Philips brand for $25. A set top UHF loop antenna might work just fine also. Aim the antenna at the stations and do a channel scan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt /forum/post/0

Does your cable company provide all the HD locals, including the CW, PBS, and My Network (if the local stations are broadcasting in HD)? Many cable companies do not yet provide all the local stations on the HD or digital tier because of bandwidth limits or the local station is demanding money for carry rights to the digital signal (see Mediacom versus Sinclair).

Your zip code shows that you are very close to a large number of digital stations, all currently broadcasting on UHF and all in the same direction. So long as your house does have local obstructions - such as stucco exterior, a Silver Sensor UHF antenna is a good starting point to try to get all of your locals. Do not get an amplified antenna as that will make things worse at such a close range. Circuit City has been selling the Silver Sensor under the Philips brand for $25. A set top UHF loop antenna might work just fine also. Aim the antenna at the stations and do a channel scan.

AFAIK -- Yes they do. They also offer ESPN and Discovery on HD. But I can't seem to get those when it's hooked up to cable.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optize /forum/post/0

AFAIK -- Yes they do. They also offer ESPN and Discovery on HD. But I can't seem to get those when it's hooked up to cable.

They are going to be encrypted (except when the cable companies shifts the channels around as they may leave the channels in the clear for a few days). To get the rest of the digital SD and HD channels, you will need to get a set top box from the cable company or have a TV or STB which has a cable card slot. The DTB-H260F is primarily intended for ATSC over the air reception. The QAM tuner is a secondary feature for viewing clear digital channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.