AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at AVR’s and speakers as my next purchase and now it’s getting confusing.

I was told by a salesperson that AVR’s like the Pioneer 1019 and Denon 1910 would be poor choices for these Speakers that I plan on getting. (see the link below)

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...&hometheater=1

Floor Standing Speaker Spec's:

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...oductid=BP7004

The salesperson told me that using an AVR like these two models would shorten the life of the receiver to about 5 years because of the strain that will be put on the receivers to drive these speakers.

He said I would be better off getting a higher wattage AVR, like the Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH or the new VSX-21TXH. He explained that these models would last much longer because they are a much better match for the speakers that I want to buy.

My room is not that big and I will not be playing the SS system all that loud.

Is he right? Do I need a bigger wattage amp to drive the Def Tech speakers?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
the salesman is blowing smoke up your posterior...

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Indeed he is. Those speakers have built-in powered subwoofers and would be a doddle for any half-way decent receiver to drive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, so your telling me that most any AVR will be good to go with these speakers and I should not sweat it...Correct?

Now what about speaker wire? Is Monster speaker wire not to good to use? I was told to stay away from Monster Speaker wire and go for a better more expensive brand.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpf /forum/post/16932246

Thanks guys, so your telling me that most any AVR will be good to go with these speakers and I should not sweat it...Correct?

Now what about speaker wire? Is Monster speaker wire not to good to use? I was told to stay away from Monster Speaker wire and go for a better more expensive brand.

Thanks for the info!

yes, don't sweat it... the salesman is full of manure... "more wattage" isn't going to buy you a darn thing... you'll likely never use more than 1 wpc 99.99% of the time... gotta admit, the "it'll wear out 5 years earlier" line is a new one though... i guess they are giving them new "training aids" these days...

yes, stay away from monster speaker wire, but not to go to a "better more expensive brand"... don't throw away your money... go to monoprice and buy however much you need... given that you have a small room, i'm going to guess that you haven't got any real long runs, so 14 gauge should be more than enough... while you are on the monoprice site, order whatever other cables you are going to need (hdmi, interconnects, etc.)...

good luck... go ahead and post any questions you might have, and let us know what other "wisdom" the salesman attempted to impart to you...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
you are welcome...

well... i personally would probably use something a bit more robust than those... but not a lot more robust...

surge protection is an, ummm, highly debated topic around here... imo, and only imo, the "best" way to go is to have it at service entry (there's a couple different options for that, but start by calling your electricity service provider, most will do it for you for a small fee), and then have inexpensive point of use protectors everywhere else...

the service entry option is a lot cheaper than you might think... i don't remember off the top off my head exactly how much it was, but it was less than $150 bucks for my electrician to install a "breaker type" one in my box, including labor... but like i said, start by calling your power company...

edit: sure, you can use the in-wall cable even though it's not in the wall, but if you scroll down the page you'll find the "regular" stuff...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpf /forum/post/16933941

Thanks for all this great info. It is very much appreciated!

Now on to the task of deciding which AVR to purchase.

Look at the features of both and decide by that. Or pick the prettier one!
They are both very comparable with slight differences. If you use the search bar at the top (put both models in) those units have been compared a bunch of times.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16934175

Look at the features of both and decide by that. Or pick the prettier one!
They are both very comparable with slight differences. If you use the search bar at the top (put both models in) those units have been compared a bunch of times.

Thanks...the Prettier the better LOL...

Although now I am taking a harder look at the new Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH. For a bit more money it seems to have a better Processor Chip, not sure if that will really make a difference???

So much to take in with all these AVR options. It can be very overwhelming.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpf /forum/post/16934355

Although now I am taking a harder look at the new Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH. For a bit more money it seems to have a better Processor Chip, not sure if that will really make a difference???

Don't let it get to you.

Pick a price range and you will find several brands, models that are going to do the job for you. the worst thing you can do is read subjective "Love brand X" posts. That is when subjectivity destroys objectivity and guys like you suffer

Ignore brand loyalty posts, ignore posts that have zero data to back them up and find the best deal out there (functionality/price).

Mostly importantly ignore the opinion of anyone trying to make profit from you, they are never your friend

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
kpf, mbyrnes and penn are both wise men (penn can be a bit of a pita at times, but he's still wise
)... they are giving you good advice...

for example, i'd say "get the pio"... but i'm a complete "pioneer brand loyalist" (to use a nice term)...
so that needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

as pointed out, either of them will do you just fine... unless one of them has a "feature" that you can't live without that the other one doesn't have, picking the prettiest one isn't the worst way to make the decision...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpf /forum/post/16934355

I had a vsx-1014 for 5 years and went out and bought a 1019 while looking for a 1018(hard to find now) and took it home without doing research. I was very disappointed in the 1019's power output. I returned it for the vsx-21txh and am very pleased. I have also looked at the Denon which is in the same price range but I am a Pioneer fanboy. It is my opinion you will be very please with the vsx-21txh over both the 1019 and 1910.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts