AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a thread that gives a summary (in laymens terms hopefully) of the current state of HDCP ? If so, can someone point me to it ? My primary concern is that my projector, which has a DVI (and component) input is not HDCP compliant. It seems to me that a worst case future scenerio might be: 1) reduction in amount of HD content I can view over DVI and/or 2) down rezzed HD content over component. If this is a possible scenerio, how far fetched is it ? Its hard to stay current on this topic.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by peter0302
There are dozens of threads over the last year, including one that's front page right now.
Yes, but that thread deals with HDCP without a DVI connection--and it is certainly not an HDCP summary thread.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
DVI without HDCP is going to be the same problem as component without HDCP. yes, you won't be able to watch PPV, HD-DVD, or anything else that is likely to require DVI with HDCP. You'll have to resort to downrezz'd component.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Peter--- It seems hard to believe that a one or two year old $5K projector will be obsolete. I hope manufacturers will offer low cost upgrades as opposed to requiring people to abandon their devices.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nobody knows if/when it will happen. Notice that current federal law says no Macrovision on non-premium channels, but allows it for both preimum subscription (like HBO) and pay-per-view, but it has never occurred. The DTheatre specification allows for down-res over the component outs but it has not occurred yet, and nobody has announced any plans to do so. Unless a consumer-level analog HD-component recorder is available the ONLY thing that flagging for down-res can do is piss off people with legacy systems. The sudios may be greedy but they aren't THAT stupid. Congress and the FCC have already established that consumers should be able to expect their component (and likely non-HDCP DVI) analog inputs to continue to work for broadcast and non-premium channels. By extension it is unlikely that the flag will be set for premium and pay-per-view channels when their is absolutely no threat. HD-DVD is all pure theory right now, we will have a better idea about that by this time next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.