AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a current DirecTV user since 1995. I want to upgrade my system to use the DirecTIVO's with dual tuners. I pretty much have to start over, as my system is outdated for my new dreams!!!!

I want two Tivo's (Dual tuner each) and the ability down the road to buy a HD tuner. So I need 5 feeds. I need a triple LNB dish to receive all three orbits I assume? But I keep reading about these multiswitches and some of the dishes include one.

I am puzzled why a dish (Terk TRK-S23) with 3 LNB's would have a 5x4 multiswitch. What is the 5? I am guessing the 4 is outputs but what does it need 5 for if there are only 3 LNB's?

The next question is cascading? I see that not all multiswitches cascade. The ones built into dishes like the Terk models do they cascade?

Any help or links for some good reading would be appreciated.

Thanks - Gary

·
Registered
771 Posts
I can help you with 5x4 thing at least, since I have one of those dishes. It has 5 inputs because each of the LNB's actually has two outputs, except for some reason it only has one input for the SatC (110) LNB. And you're right about the 4 being output - it has 4 wires coming out of it, one for each tuner.

Can't help you with cascading, I only have the one built-in multiswitch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
On many switches, the 5 inputs are 2 for sat 101, 2 for sat 110/119 (119 is combined with 110 with a combiner before the switch, and 1 input for OTA or cable that can be distributed on all lines and taken off with a deplexer. I don't know about yours.

Anyway, to get your 5 or more feeds, you need to add a 5x6 or 5x8 multiswitch by itself, if you can get a multisat dish with a removable built-in switch. Just run 4 wires to the new switch and you're in business.

It's a little trickier if the built-in switch isn't removable. Then you need your new multiswitch to be one that passes the 22KHz tones to select the 110/119 sat. Two switches that do that function just fine are the Spaun 5802 switch and the

Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ 22KHz 5x8 Multiswitch (note the + in the name)

·
Registered
655 Posts
The integrated dishes have really confused everyone.

If you are still confused send another post.

There is alot of great reading onNon-HDTV and HDTV-Hardware.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
In the beginning.....

The oval dishes had a 4x4 switch. This was 4 inputs and four outputs. The inputs were from the two (or three if you chose to do so) LNBs. If you used all three LNBs, there are actually five wires. In this scenario, the 5th wire (from the third LNB) was combined with one of the other LNB wires. So essentially, only four wires from the LNB "cluster" were sent to the multi-switch. Four outputs from the multi-switch went to receivers.

Before the oval dish where multi LNB setups came to be... people were using multi-switches to get multiple receivers on their single LNB (but still dual output) systems. These switches were usually called 3x4 or 3x8 or 3xWhatever. Two of the inputs were from the LNB. The extra input was from an OTA antenna or Cable. This signal was combined into the sat feeds by the multi-switch. The outputs of the multiswitch went to receivers. You could use a combiner at the receiver end to separate the OTA and SAT signals.

Then came the "integrated" multiswitches with the oval dishes....

When dish makers started integrating multiswitches in the dishes for a more clean setup, they started putting the sat-c (thrid LNB) combiner (but not to be confused with the OTA combiner) into the multiswitch. There was no need for a separate combiner for the third LNB. This means that there are actually five inputs to the multiswitch: two for LNB1, two for LNB2 and one for LNB3. The outputs are the same. These multiswitches are referred to as 5x4. Except the "odd" input is for the third LNB, NOT the OTA or cable input.

Anyway....

To have OTA integrated into this, you need to throw away the "integrated" multiswitch and get a standard 5x4 or 5x8 multiswitch. This means you will have to use a separate sat-c combiner. After the combiner is used, you will have fours wires from the LNB "cluster" that will go into the multi-switch. You will then connect your OTA or Cable input on the 5th input. The outputs work the same.

To make a long story short, depending on whether you have an "integrated" multi-switch or a "standard" multiswitch will determine what the "5th" input is for on the multiswitch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Taking Gary's scenario:

2 - DirecTivo's (dual tuners)

Future HDTV receiver

Future HDTV OTA

and with the possible expansion in the future to 2 additional rooms (standard receivers only), what hardware should I buy now as a new subscriber with no existing equipment? From what I've been reading, I think I need:

Now:

- Oval dish with Dual LNBs and no integrated multiswitch

- One 5x8 multiswitch (what type?)

- DTivos

Later:

- Sat-C kit (LNB and combiner?)

- OTA antenna

- HD Receiver (what type, brand?)

Anything else I need to consider? Cabling issues? Should I get a Triple LNB dish if it's all the same price?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RJKobbeman

Then came the "integrated" multiswitches with the oval dishes....

When dish makers started integrating multiswitches in the dishes for a more clean setup, they started putting the sat-c (thrid LNB) combiner (but not to be confused with the OTA combiner) into the multiswitch. There was no need for a separate combiner for the third LNB. This means that there are actually five inputs to the multiswitch: two for LNB1, two for LNB2 and one for LNB3. The outputs are the same. These multiswitches are referred to as 5x4. Except the "odd" input is for the third LNB, NOT the OTA or cable input.

I am totally new to DirecTV. I'm hoping someone can help me.

For the Sat-c (third LNB) that accounts for 1 of the 5 inputs, can I use a dual LNB instead of a single LNB? I'm having a hard time finding a single LNB. Essentially, I would have one half of the dual LNB plugged into nothing.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
For the Sat-c (third LNB) that accounts for 1 of the 5 inputs, can I use a dual LNB instead of a single LNB? I'm having a hard time finding a single LNB. Essentially, I would have one half of the dual LNB plugged into nothing.
Even a single LNB will not work. The Sat-C is a single LNB with a special circuit that converts the incoming sat signal to a different frequency. You also need to use the included combiner if you don't have an integrated multi-switch. The combiner looks like a standard diplexor but it has a frequency built into it.

-Robert

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recommend staying away from Diplexers, Combiners & Splitters... for best results use the proper Multiswitch along with special Sat-C lnbf mentioned in postings & numerous Threads in this Forum!

^i^Cole^i^

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I tried again to get my HDVR2 this weekend. No one has it in stock in the Monmouth Country, NJ area.

And so much for trusting Best Buy's web site!! It is a joke. They listed the HDVR2 & RCA triple LNB (DSA8900H) in stock at Holmdel and Manalapan. Well neither store had it in stock and both store people said they NEVER carry the triple LNB. I have no faith in BB employees, but somehow I think in this they are right.

I did manage to find the Terk triple LNB at a very good supplier called IEI. But they do not carry the HDVR2. It has an integrated 5x4 multiswitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A question:

I bought a JVI Model: 35-TRDS8 multi-switch to hook up to my dish with has an integrated switch / triple lnb. The switch on the dish can't be disabled and the JVI only works for some channels. I think it is because the JVI doesn't send tone to the integrated switch. I assume this is the definition of non cascading. So can I buy 2 tone generators http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/w...m_SP22TGEN.PDF and put them on the 2 inputs that the JVI thinks should go with tone? Or should I send my JVI back, pay the restocking fee for not doing my research and buy and eagle aspen S-4180-GX+ for about $40 more?

--Banzif

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes, you could do that.

However, it is nice to have one unit.

Terk makes a new multiswitch that does the same as the s-4180-gx+.

It is called the M58.

It is significantly cheaper.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got my DirecTivo (HDVR2) installed and the Terk 3 LNB dish. It has an integrated 5x4 multiswitch.

It was a huge job installing all the drops. The cable runs were about 225 feet each. The end result was great. I now have dual tuners working. The local shop said I would have problems aligning all three orbits, but once I got the 101 aligned up the other two were also fine. I ended up with a signal strength of 97-100.

My prior system was a RCA DirecTV tuner attached to a Replay 3060. I guess the Replay was degrading the signal slightly with the pass through. The integrated Tivo was noticably better picture quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to buy one of the multiswitches mentioned above.

Has anyone used the Terk M58 or the Aspen S-4180-GX+ with the new oval 18x20 triple lnb dish with the integrated multiswitch?

Are they both the same or is one better than the other?

Thanks

Alexandra

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ from SolidSignal.com a month ago. It works great, I have no problem with it. My friend bought a Terk M58 from them last week, I guess its a new item. It works fine with his 18x20 Triple LNB. I have heard that TERK M58 is hard to find.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.