AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Athena AS-P4000 sub to go with my panny xr50 receiver, As-f1's, As-c1, AS-B1's, As-r1's. I noticed that there is a variable crossover setting on the back. My receiver is currently set to 100Hz crossover. What will happen if I set the receiver to a different setting? Will it make any difference? I would ideally want the crossover set to 80hz since my R1's only go down to 80hz, but have been living with 100hz since that is the lowest setting my receiver has. Finally, which of the 2 following scenarios is better (while getting same output from sub): having the receiver's sub setting set to high and the nob on the sub set to low, or having receiver setting set to low and not on the sub set to high? Any advantages to either? Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
The two crossovers are in series - so ideally you should be able to disable one of them - preferably the sub since the processor does bass redirection as well. Use the rxvr filter and set the sub crossover at the maximum value.

My suggestion would be to go with rxvr at low & sub set to high, since the rxvr is processing the signal before the sub. If you set the rxvr high & sub low, then you are missing the audio signal between the two crossovers since the sub filters out whatever the rxvr is sending. You can check this out using some test signals or listen to music tracks you know well.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yes, drhack has it right, if you are using the receiver's crossover, just set the sub's crossover as high as it will go so that it has no effect on the signal.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tks for the replies. That did answer another one of my questions. However, I think I may not have formulated my question properly. When I spoke to setting the receiver sub output to high and sub low (or vice versa) I meant the volume, and NOT the crossover setting. My question should have been: should I set the sub's volume on the receiver to high and set the sub's volume knob (on the sub) to low, or vice-versa?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_69
should I set the sub's volume on the receiver to high and set the sub's volume knob (on the sub) to low, or vice-versa?
Vice-Versa!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I use receiver's sub-out volume low, sub's volume higher.

Has worked better that way with the 3 different brands of subs I've used.

·
Registered
183 Posts
how does the as-p4000 sound? there was a sweet deal on the as-p6000 a few days ago..i missed out on it... :(

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
There are brand new P4000 & P6000 listings on eBay all the time for very cheap prices. Typical buyer beware caveats of ebay apply. ;)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_69
Any idea why that would work better?
Usually a receiver will distort the signal, quicker than a sub's volume control will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.