AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the market for a 32" LCD TV. I am looking for not only a stellar picture with HD, but also very good SD picture for all the non-HD channels. Will be using it mostly for TV viewing with DirecTV or Dish, and some DVD/Blu-ray.

I would like to buy locally and have looked at various units and the ones that really stood out are the Sharp Aquos 32" 1080P and the Sony 32" 1080P units. The Sharp retails at $799 while the Sony is currently at $1099, so there is some price difference here.

At Best Buy, the unit that they have is Sharp AQUOS LC32GP2U which I cannot find on any website, except BB (even Sharp USA website does not list it. Is this a BB special unit or something?). All I see everywhere is Sharp AQUOS LC32GP3U not 2U.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210378341954

At Circuit City, they have the Sharp AQUOS LC32D64U, which is referred to many places including this website, and which I was able to see at CC today.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sharp...oductDetail.do

Upon visual inspection of the PQ, I could not tell much difference between LC32GP2U and the LC32D64U.

Questions:
  1. What is this LC32GP2U model? How come I do not see referred anhywhere else? What differences, if any, with LC32D64U?
  2. Is either unit a good buy for the price considering my criteria above?
  3. I noticed concerns of banding on LC32D64U on this forum. I could not notice any such on either Aquos units. Under what conditions, does this show up? Does LC32GP2U suffer from the same problem as well?
  4. The Sony KDL-32XBR6 1080p also had a stellar picture, however the Sharp seemed to have better colors, but this could also be a artifact of the unit setup in the stores. Considering it is $300 more, what will I gain from the Sony over the Sharps?

Please advise ASAP as I would like to buy one soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
the sharp is a bb only but is the same as a lc-32gp3u,i just got this unit and it is nice,they have a deal 799 with a sharp bluy ray thrown in,just order it on line for in store p/u from two diff stores,the tv will ring up for 499.00,then the bd will ring up 299.00 at the other store, just do not p/u the bd player if you do not need it,it is not a very good bd player with lots of diff with playing certain bd discs.this tv is VERY GOOD for 499.00

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by el golfo /forum/post/15469302

the sharp is a bb only but is the same as a lc-32gp3u,i just got this unit and it is nice,they have a deal 799 with a sharp bluy ray thrown in,just order it on line for in store p/u from two diff stores,the tv will ring up for 499.00,then the bd will ring up 299.00 at the other store, just do not p/u the bd player if you do not need it,it is not a very good bd player with lots of diff with playing certain bd discs.this tv is VERY GOOD for 499.00

Can you do this? If you buy both for $799 and then only pick up the TV, how can you avoid not buying the BD player? Is this not an all or nothing combo? If you do not pick up the BD player, your card is still charged for $799 since you bought it online, no? I think BB will find out.

Also another problem is that in my town, the TV is available only at one store and the BD at no stores, it is back-ordered. So I do not know if I can do what you did assuming it is possible. I do not need the BD player, BTW.

Also are you sure, the 2U and 3U are the same units?

·
Registered
25 Posts
in phx when i went online and ordered this the tv was avail at one store and the bd player was at another store,went and p/u the the tv and it rang up for 499,no mention of me needing to purchase the bd unit or p/u,i have cx the bd purchase,it would have rung up for 299,nothing wrong with this in my opinon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was researching the LC32GP2U (Best Buy only) and LC32GP3 (Circuit City and others) as well. If you go bring up the specs from both TV's, they are the same TV. The only difference is one connection. The 2U has no S-Video connection where as the 3U has one; but in todays HD world this connection is out of date and not used any more. If you go the Sharp web site, they list three different classes of tv's. Both of these are under the LC32 series; which means they are 32" Auquos TV's with the Viper mode for gaming among other things. You just cannot find the exact model number on the website for the one at BB, same thing for the ones you buy from Costco.

It is very common for competitor retail stores (ie. Best Buy and Circuit City) to have the same TV buy a slightly different model number. They do this so they do not have to price match the competetor; they allways require it to be the same model. It is the same with Costco, they have a deal with TV manufactures to make specific models for them. And since they order so many to sell they get them really cheap.

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, and had my wife go down to BB last night to get the LC32GP2U and the Blu-Ray player. After tax it was around $850 for both. They did not have either one in stock but but they transfered the TV from another store and ordered the Blu-Ray player. Bad thing is I believe that the sell for that combo is over. But on the bright side the TV is still way cheaper at BB then it is at CC. And it is a great TV.

I already have a 46" AQUOS for my living room and I love it, I will be loyal to Sharp for quite a while. Their TVs are top of the line, and the price is allways great.

Hope this info helps.

As far as buying both the picking up only the TV goes, good luck with that. If you look at the BB website on how their Pick up in store option works you may be in for a suprise. They hold the items at the store you selected for 10 days, after that your item is returned to stock and they refund your item price. But since it is a combo deal, they will charge you for the full price of the TV. So either you are paying $799 for the TV and BL player or in 10 days you are still paying $799 for just the TV. Works the same as buying them both, picking them both up and returning only the BL player, you pay full price.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by el golfo /forum/post/15470268

in phx when i went online and ordered this the tv was avail at one store and the bd player was at another store,went and p/u the the tv and it rang up for 499,no mention of me needing to purchase the bd unit or p/u,i have cx the bd purchase,it would have rung up for 299,nothing wrong with this in my opinon.

Does anyone see banding with this TV?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 37" Aquos 1080p, great stuff.

Let me know how your 32" Aquos will work with DirecTV, as I am interested in getting it also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts