Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes, I was thinking again.

Human nature tends to make us want the very best in life, be it the fastest car, gorgeous women, nice house, good job... If we do not have the very best we work at it till we get there or as close as we can get. When I bought my very first PJ, I did alot of research about different CRT's, bought the best I could afford at the time and that was a 1272. I was real happy with it, but I did not stop looking as I knew there was better out there. Bought a NEC XG1100, even happier still. Well now I have a 10PG and will always keep my eyes peeled for that Killer G90.

What confuses me about the digital argument is, why go digital if human nature is telling you to get the best. Now I know this does not apply to alot of people that have to make compromises or all they want is a image and a six pack. This applies to videophiles, I'm sure there are alot of them that got on the digital train and have done the same thing as me, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Well all the latest talk is about the HT1000. Killer image on a 70" wide screen. I can all ready see the problem, too small, time to upgrade as soon as a higher resolution PJ comes out and hopefully the blacks will be better too.

As far as where I'm at, 161" diagonal screen that is a bright as my computor monitor. Curved design that lets me bounce the center channel off the screen for correct sound. Colors that are the best that are out there. No artifacts. Blacks and shades of black that make you think film is not as good. Very sharp picture, with some improvement on the way. Extremely three dimensional, the way I describe this is, you have to be careful when you get close to the screen as it makes you feel disorientated, like you can fall through the screen.

And I'm just getting started.

Deron.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
HEY THATS A GREAT IDEA BOUNSEING

THE CENTER OFF THE SCREEN

161 INCH DIAGONAL YOU HAVE MY ENVY

WHATS YOUR SCREEN GAIN

XANATOS

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xanatos

The reason the sound works so good for me is the screen is curved drywall. It's cool the way you can be talking in certain places in the room and hear your voice being thrown back at you.

I used a silver paint applied in a special way to give a 3+ gain. Tried to get some of vutec's ultra high gain screen material to cover it with but they will not sell it. I got a sample from them though, very high gain, can not see it being a 13 gain like they say. If I was to compare my screen gain to theirs I would say there's is more like 6 gain. Looks like it is a dull aluminum laminated to paper, kinda like the dull side of aluminum foil. I was tempted to buy one of their screens, but my screen is plenty bright and quite a bit larger.

Deron.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
yea i dont see it being 13 gain myself my viewing angel is to wide but i believe the curve of the screen

also makes it brighter

than it would be using the same material

with a flat screen

i would love to go larger

but i only have a 20 x 20 room

so my 6 x 8 is as large as i can fit

oh well the curse of the ht

to never be happy with what you have

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deronmoped

Human nature tends to make us want the very best in life, be it the fastest car, gorgeous women, nice house, good job... If we do not have the very best we work at it till we get there or as close as we can get.
This is a little bit simplistic, don't you think? Many people are not motivated by the desire to do whatever they can to improve the status of their material possessions at the expense of everything else.
Quote:

What confuses me about the digital argument is, why go digital if human nature is telling you to get the best.
Putting aside the faulty predicate referenced above, what do mean by "the best"? Are you referring to picture quality alone and ignoring all issues related to convenience. It could be argued that the "best" way for most of us to get to work is by heliocpter, but it is somewhat impractical.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
SMITTY

the meterial world is all we have

to work with to make our life's fun

and also to decide who runs things

i have found crt projectors

once installed very convent

of course not as convent as my 36 inch

rca but my rca does not put out

a 10 foot picture

XANATOS

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
PS.

ARE NOT THE PEOPLE

WHO DO NOT SEEK TO IMPROVE THERE LIFE'S

WITH MATERIAL POSSESSIONS CALLED BUMS

XANATOS

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Human nature (in our culture) makes people think that the most expensive is the best. People think the newest is the best. People think anything w/ the word digital in it is the best.

No way that something 7 years old and costs $1000 on ebay could possibly be as good as something brand new and costs $10,000. At least that's what many people think.

Wealthy materialists who are not videophiles are MUCH more comfortable thinking that way.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
This whole CRT vs digital thing is starting to get a little goofy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Lifter, but wasn't it not very long ago that you were touting the use of one of those LCD panels sitting on top of an overhead projector?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
"tarting to get a little goofy"? Man we've been around the goofy planet three times already. But then, what else is there to talk about.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, Lifter, but wasn't it not very long ago that you were touting the use of one of those LCD panels sitting on top of an overhead projector?
Still have it. I don't remember touting the use of it though. But don't knock it. I'll put that thing against any manufactured LCD PJ anyday.

My goal was to make a 1080p digital projector. Something that doesn't exist for under $100k. It would have cost me about $1200-$1500. If I had money to burn and all the time in the world I'd still do it. Contrast ratio would have been decent for LCD (i.e. terrible compared to anything else) and it would have been very large and bulky, but it would have been pretty frickin cool IMO. Anyways, I gave up and spent the money on my XG. It would have have been too much time and stress.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smitty
But then, what else is there to talk about.

Well, let's see. We could talk about "them Dogs" I guess. Around here they talk a lot about them dogs, da bears, dos Tigers, etc.

Or we could talk about the transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Or how about the weather? That's always a scintillating topic.

Bob

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Well, let's see. We could talk about "them Dogs" I guess. Around here they talk a lot about them dogs, da bears, dos Tigers, etc.

Or we could talk about the transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Or how about the weather? That's always a scintillating topic.

Bob
Or we could talk about Jerry Lewis, and his many contributions to comedic arts. :D

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smitty
Or we could talk about Jerry Lewis, and his many contributions to comedic arts. :D
I can give you Dean Martin's drinking habit, but what's the second? ;)

(me != French...)

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deronmoped
As far as where I'm at, 161" diagonal screen that is a bright as my computor monitor. Curved design that lets me bounce the center channel off the screen for correct sound.
Well Deron, you pretty much just answered your own question. "Bouncing" the center channel off the screen isn't correct sound, it's unacceptable sound by most theater designers standards. A fact which I normally would not point out, because you're obviously happy with it and that's all that matters. So why are you willing to live with something that's substandard? Perhaps because different people have different priorties in life?

Any more deep questions you'd like me to answer? Just address them to Dr. QQQ.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Did you catch that he said it's curved drywall, not screen fabric? Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lifter
Did you catch that he said it's curved drywall, not screen fabric? Does that make a difference?
In a word, no. You are radically altering every parameter of the speaker by bouncing it off a curved screen. The center channel speaker should be behind the screen (acoustically transparent) or above or below it. Some designers like to place speakers above and below the screen to compensate for the inability to place a speaker behind a curved screen, those most acoustician's frown upon that. That used to be done in theaters that used the Torus compound curved screens.

The original Kloss projectors used to have a small speaker that aimed at the screen and bounced back at the listener. Pretty cool at the time but we've come quite a way since then.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
While we are on the subject of home made single curve dry wall screens and excuse me for jumping threads, but I think Deron just blew the whistle on why he can't get a tight focus from center to edge with a PG projector. PG's are hard enough to do mechanical focus on a flat screen (the one it was designed for). Set up a temp flat screen and try again.

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QQQ you are not keeping up with the latest in speaker technology, bouncing the sound off a surface is all the rage, "Read Ultimate Speaker Design" magzine. Just kidding. I guess I should have explained correct sound better, or different. I should have said correct sound positioning, or maybe sound appearing to come from the right place, whatever...

Getting past that how can you say that the sound being bounced off my drywall without hearing it, or measuring it, is good bad or indifferent (if sound can be indifferent). For that matter, my, best in all the universes, sound system blows yours away. So there. Ha ha ha. :)

Deron.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chip though of that, I set focus by looking into the tube, then focus it to the screen last.

Deron.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.