AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am truly suffering from information overload. The more I educate myself the more factors I begin considering and the more confused I get.

On several occasions I thought I was nearing a final decision on what set I was going to buy and then I learned a bit more and began considering other sets.

My latest question centers on resolution. I was looking at two beautiful sets side-by-side and realized they had varying resolutions. The two sets were the Sony 37XS955 (plasma) and the Sharp 37GD4U (LCD).

The Sony had a resolution of 1024x1024. The Sharp was 1366x768.

To me the Sharp had a brighter colors and a sharper definition to the images. It was also $500 more expensive.

Anyway, here is my question:

What impact would the differing resolutions have to the viewer of these two TVs? Specifically, how will it affect viewing of SD and HDTV shows. I will not be using these sets as computer displays so I don?t care about that.

·
Super Moderator
21,701 Posts
For your application the advice in the latest issue of Consumer's Report may be appropriate: "don't get hung up on specs"

You are looking at two good displays: one an Alis plasma;the other an LCD

I would go back to the store and view them with SD and HD sources, look at the LCD from various angles (since LCD displays have a narrower range of useable viewing angle both vertically and horizontally) and consider lighting in your room (LCD's do better generally in bright rooms)

regardless of specs: there is nothing wrong with choosing the display with PQ that looks best to you: that is what it is all about!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.