AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ready to buy my first network media tank device. Here's my situation: I have a Synology NAS (210j) which will be where all my media will reside. I'll be streaming it to whatever NMT I buy via 802.11n wireless. From there, it'll go to my Denon AVR-791 receiver and on to my 1080p TV. I won't need any kind of local hard drive capability since I'll be streaming everything. I have an 802.11n wireless bridge, so whatever I buy doesn't need built-in or add-on 802.11n wireless.

I have a lot of Xvid/DivX videos, a bunch of .MPG, .AVI, .MOV, and .FLV files. A few regular DVD's. No blu-ray, no HD-DVD. And a whole bunch of MP3 files.

My wife and I just want something that is simple to use, and will play those files reliably. A nice UI would be great--by "nice" I mean not necessarily the most gaudy, but just something that can reliably get us to the files we want to play quickly, and is simple to navigate.

I had my choice narrowed down to either the Popcorn Hour A-210, or the new AppleTV with atvflash. However, now I see there are a hundred other network media devices on the market....yikes. What's the best for us?

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave /forum/post/19590639

Hi all,

Ready to buy my first network media tank device. Here's my situation: I have a Synology NAS (210j) which will be where all my media will reside. I'll be streaming it to whatever NMT I buy via 802.11n wireless. From there, it'll go to my Denon AVR-791 receiver and on to my 1080p TV. I won't need any kind of local hard drive capability since I'll be streaming everything. I have an 802.11n wireless bridge, so whatever I buy doesn't need built-in or add-on 802.11n wireless.

I have a lot of Xvid/DivX videos, a bunch of .MPG, .AVI, .MOV, and .FLV files. A few regular DVD's. No blu-ray, no HD-DVD. And a whole bunch of MP3 files.

My wife and I just want something that is simple to use, and will play those files reliably. A nice UI would be great--by "nice" I mean not necessarily the most gaudy, but just something that can reliably get us to the files we want to play quickly, and is simple to navigate.

I had my choice narrowed down to either the Popcorn Hour A-210, or the new AppleTV with atvflash. However, now I see there are a hundred other network media devices on the market....yikes. What's the best for us?

I suggest going with the Popcorn Hour A-210... it could play back more file formats than the AppleTV... Also the AppleTV only supports up to 720p while the PCH A-210 supports up to 1080p60... If you want something really easy to use take a look at the Nixeus Fusion HD - the GUI is easier than the PCH-A200 (only thing different than the PCH A-210 is the casing)... both are in the same price range and support the same file formats... irony is that both the Nixeus and Popcorn boxes mention support local internal hard drive support...

If you don't need that you can save some money by going with the SageTV or WDTV Live...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts