AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just got a new PS3 and I've been trying to figure out the upscaling options and the best way to configure the settings.... I've been searching the net but haven't really found the answers I'm seeking...

My setup: PS3 connected via HDMI to a Sony SXRD 50" TV, 1080p compatible.

The first movie I popped in there is my favorite movie, Office Space. It's a widescreen edition (1.85:1). So with upscaling turned to "normal", the movie plays in the center of the screen with huge black borders on all sides. The movie takes up about 65% of the screen. The aspect ratio, as far as I can tell, is correct.

At double-scale, it shrinks down a bit, to maybe 60% of the screen.

Full size and turning off the upscaler results in the screen stretched across the screen horizontally with huge letterbox borders above and below. The movie is "squished".

Is this normal? I know my TV is 16:9, so at full screen, I should have a tiny bit of letterbox borders, but not this much (at least I don't think).

Now, I also tried putting in The Transporter 2. In normal mode, it plays beautifully and at full screen. The full screen mode does nothing (same as normal). Using double-scale, the image shrinks a little bit.

I've been reading a lot of people love the double-scale feature. From what I can tell it just doubles the amount of pixels, and if a typical SD movie is 480 lines, then it comes out to 960 lines, meaning I'm losing about 120 lines of resolution, which is why the screen shrinks a little. Is that correct?

Please help! I'm tearing my hair out trying to get Office Space to display properly!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Read the link in my sig.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster /forum/post/12865108

Sounds like your "Office Space" DVD is probably not anamorphic, just matted widescreen.

The easiest way to check is to see if the top and bottom black bars are slightly lighter than those on either side. You may have to adjust the brightness to check this. If they appear lighter, then that means the widescreen's not anamorphic. It'd just be as though you were watching a letterboxed VHS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster /forum/post/12865108

Sounds like your "Office Space" DVD is probably not anamorphic, just matted widescreen.

You know what, that thought never even occurred to me. This is a pretty old DVD. I'll bet that's what it is. I'm going to try that out later and see if that's the case. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts