AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Sony UTV should be on it's way...and since this is my first experiment with UTV.... I just want to make sure I have all my facts straight. First, my current setup:

My dish has two dual LNB's. Which results in four separate cables coming from the LNB's. These four cables connect to a grey box attached to the back of the dish. (Is this a multiswitch?). From said grey box, there is a single cable, which runs from this box to my single Hughes receiver in my living room.

So if I understand correctly, I will need to run another RG6 cable from the box on the back of the dish to my living room in order to use the dual tuner of the UTV. With only the single existing cable (assuming the box arrives before I have time to run the other cable) will I still be able to use the UTV (albeit without the features provided by the dual tuner)?

Please help straighten the confused newbie out.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CanOBeans
So if I understand correctly, I will need to run another RG6 cable from the box on the back of the dish to my living room in order to use the dual tuner of the UTV. With only the single existing cable (assuming the box arrives before I have time to run the other cable) will I still be able to use the UTV (albeit without the features provided by the dual tuner)?
Yes, I am using one of my UTVs with a single tuner and it works fine. You do need to have one cable run for each tuner from the multi-switch to the receiver. Remember not to schedule anything to record overnight so your unit can get updated with the newest software. Good luck and enjoy your new UTV.

Jay

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, it works fine with one feed. Does the multiswitch on the back of your dish have 2 or 4 outputs? Just curious. Are you keeping the Hughes? If so you'll need to run 2 more lines from the dish to get the full enjoyment from the UTV. Welcome to the club ;) Your tv viewing will improve dramatically, just don't become a slave to it like me.

mutters.... must... watch.... recorded.... shows.... must... keep... capacity..... under.... eighty.... percent....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I'll be keeping the Hughes where it is currently......if the need arises.....I may move it to a different TV.......

I however do have another question......my girlfriend has a TV in the basement that she watches when she runs on the treadmill, etc.

I was wondering if there is a way to put a A-B switch on the line from the UTV to the main TV.....allowing to send the signal to the basement TV?

And secondly, can it be done on "the cheap"?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The coax output of the UTV can be split with a cheap splitter, you don't even need the switch.

However, if your main TV has S-video and/or RCA inputs, I'd recommend using those; you'd get a better quality picture. You can then use the coax output to go down to the basement.

An A/B switch would only be necessary if you wanted to switch what the TV in the basement views, like the VCR or the UTV.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CanOBeans
I however do have another question......my girlfriend has a TV in the basement that she watches when she runs on the treadmill, etc. I was wondering if there is a way to put a A-B switch on the line from the UTV to the main TV.....allowing to send the signal to the basement TV? And secondly, can it be done on "the cheap"?
Sure, but I don't think you'll need an A-B switch. There are multiple outputs from the UTV:

(1) S-Video

(1) Optical Audio (Toslink)

(2) RCA Video

(2) RCA Audio

(1) Standard coax connection

I believe (someone jump in if I'm wrong) that all of these outputs are live at the same time. As long as you remember that you can only output one signal at a time, you should be able to find connections to your upstairs A/V equipment and run a line down to the basement for the other TV. Probably have to be coax for that run if it is very long, but it should work. And you'll have to figure out a way to change channels from the basement via a RF remote or other means (I suggest two taps on the floor with a broom for channel-down and one tap for channel up :D). P.S. I foresee channel control issues very quickly becoming a factor. Perhaps you should go ahead and order a second UTV right now? -TJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She asked me about being able to watch recorded programs while she is running......so hopefully channel control will not become and issue.....however, I do think that UTV control in general will become an issue.....

·
Registered
685 Posts
TJ-

Your post is right on the money. The multiple outputs came in handy when I hooked up my 2 UTVs. I have one in the basement and one in the Family Room. After hooking up the UTVs I decided that it would be beneficial to be able to watch shows recorded on the UTV in the living room on the TV in the basement and vice versa. I ran 2 extra coax lines. One from the UTV in the basement to the TV in the living room and one from the UTV in the living room to the TV in the basement. Works like a charm. A cheap IR-RF converter and you can even change channels (or pause, rewind, etc.) on the UTV in the Living room wile sitting and watching it in the basement.

-NJJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.