Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm running a 3805 in a 5.1 setup with a Sunfire 7 channel amp (2 channels are not used although they are connected) and Axiom speakers, with an HSU sub. I get all the bass I want with Dolby Digital, DTS, Stereo etc BUT in Dolby Prologic II Cinema or Music, I get almost little to no bass. All the bass I get is from the front speakers (M80s), and the subwoofer is pretty much silent.

What am I missing here??:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
With 2105 i'm having the same problem...

I have the subwoofer mode set to LFE+MAIN and my mains set to Large...

I don't try yet to solve the problem...

If you do it, please, post it!!!

Thanks...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can it be that dedicated software in DD and DTS has more sub-bass content in the LFE .1 channel?

·
Registered
31,174 Posts
Falp,

You are correct: DD & DTS software often sounds more bassy because of the additional LFE channel. However, kapone's 3805 has a subwoofer mode that immitates this effect by generating its own LFE channel (a subwoofer output in addition to the full range sound in the main channels).

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
409 Posts
Setting your 3805 to LFE + Main will definitely give you a lot more bass. Unfortunately my experience with this is that you get too much in scenes where it is inappropriate. I watched Indiana Jones likes this and when he punched out a Nazi I felt it too. If your subwoofer has a low pass filter on it you may be able to configure that to reduce this effect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sounds to me like you need to set up your crossovers between your speakers and your sub. Pro Logic (2 or otherwise) does not handle any bass management on its own. It relies on your speakers being properly crossed over to the sub, either with the receiver itself or in some other fashion.

If you notice there's no bass without the LFE in Pro Logic, it means you probably have the same problem (bass sent to speakers is not being routed anywhere it can be played) in DD and DTS, too, you just don't notice it because the LFE is there.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think that it's more than just that. For instance, in my previous receiver (49TXi), when all 4 surrounds and the center channel were set to "Small," with the crossover set at 80Hz, my subs would not trigger in DPLII. Now, I'm sure that a lot of the material had content below 80Hz, but something in the DPLII algorithm did not route anything from those 5 speakers to the sub, regardless of the 80Hz crossover setting. With the same material, DTS Neo did redirect info to the sub.

Sanjay is correct, many receivers have the ability to route info from full-range mains to the sub, along with low level information from small speakers. Some call it "Ultra," or "Plus." In my experience however, this results in an artificially high sub level. I end up just living without a sub to reinforce my full-range mains, when listening in DPLII.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well folks, I tried it. Yes, in CERTAIN situations, the bass gets to be a bit overwhelming, but overall, I think setting it to LFE + Mains works better (again, in my situation/setup/preferences/opinion).

The 3805 is now set to LFE + Mains and the crossover (in the 3805) is set to 60 Hz. This seems to be the ideal combination for now. Previously, most SD content from my cable box (not HD, which a lot is in DD) used to have no bass at all, other than the mains, now the sub seems to be filling in quite nicely.

·
Registered
522 Posts
this is defineately an odd problem since dplII encodes to 5.1. sounds to me like you need to go through your manual and setup. on my yamaha 2400, i have LFE set to sub only, and anything i throw at it in dplII, the sub plays just fine. fronts set to small, crossover at 60hz. good luck

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
pbblair's explanation is exactly correct.

And if you have the sub level calibrated right, and you switch the fronts from small to large and hear no bass difference, then the large setting is fine. But if there is a loss of bass when switching to large, it means the sub is helping the otherwise "full range" speakers deliver the bass. In that case, setting the fronts to small is better. It almost always is. In spite of the spec sheet, you might not be getting flat, deep bass response from the fronts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.