AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused on rather I need to do hacks to my win2000 SP2 registry to get DD/DTS passthrough to my SBLive X-gamer card. I have PowerDvD XP 4.0 and ATI DVD Player 7.6 - so far - I have NOT experienced any of the chopiness that i have read about in ver. 7.6 - I do NOT have the full ATI MMC installed - I did a custom install and only installed the 7.6 DVD player. As I understand it PowerDVD xp 4.0 does not do DTS decoding - but - Am I correct that it should NOT matter since I only want to pass DD/DTS through and do the decoding at my receiver or does the DVD player still have to know or have the decoders avail just to do DD/DTS passthrough ? Do I need ZoomPlayer to do passthrough ?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
sportster64,

I believe the player has to know about DTS in order to pass it to the receiver for decoding.

Some early DVD players did not know about DTS - and therefore couldn't even pass the signal to a DTS-capable

receiver for decoding.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The esteemed physicist is correct.

ATi doesn't wish to cough up for the DTS license so their player can not even pass it through (let alone decode it.)

The way to get around this if you like ATi's Cinemaster engine is to use Zoomplayer and mix and match filters.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK say if I were to use Zoomplayer - then use the filters from ATI 7.6 for video and the filters from Powerdvd 4.0 Xp for Audio - How do I verify that the Powerdvd 4.0 will pass the DD/DTS via SPDIF to my Audio receiver ? The version of PowerDVD I have came with my DVD-ROM - SO I wonder if it does or doesn't have the proper filters to pass DD/DTS . How do I verify that in PowerDVD 4.0 XP ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.