AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have an Yamaha HTR-6030, and all the manuals say it's an 8ohm receiver, but it came with 5 6ohm speakers

Anyway, I have 2 Klipsch satellite speakers that are 4 ohms, and I have them hooked up as the A Speakers and the ones that came with the Receiver are setup as the B speakers.

I mainly Use B when I turn up the Volume on 5 Channel mode, but when I'm just Relaxin on my computer I use the A Speakers in 2 Channel Mode.

It has a powered Sub, So am I hurting the Amp by running 2 4ohm speakers?

Can I do 5 Channel with the 4 ohm speakers or should I stick with the speakers it came with?

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's not really an 8 ohm receiver; it's a receiver whose power is tested and reported at 8 ohms, the most common benchmark for audio gear.

Most receivers will tolerate 4 ohm speakers quite well, unless the speakers are exotic technology such a planars or electrostatics which often have wicked drops in impedance which stress less expensive receivers. You aren't thinking of buying $20,000 electrostatics to go with your HTB, are you?

You receiver will do fine with 4 ohm speakers, most likely. Check the manual for any warnings.

You probably should not use A and B speakers at the same time, as the combined load would be too low. This is probably not possible given the switching on the receiver or prohibited in the manual or both.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts