AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am looking to buy another Set..

I owned a 50" Pioneer Elite PRO-1150HD (older 768p set.. I got the model # wrong earlier)

Currently have a 50" Samsung 50a460

LG LH30 32" LCD

Toshiba 22" with DVD player (this set has bad picture but got it because it went into the kitchen.. I regret this purchase)

So now I find a need for a new bedroom TV so I figured I replace my living room tv and move it into the bedroom.

I have had a couple 50" Plasma and like to move onto something slightly bigger.

My current thoughts are

PN58b560 .. Seem like a good deal. Has lot of the 8 series features. toc, cinema mode,

PN58A650 alot of cheap prices on these

PN58B650

PN58A760 good deals on these as well

PN58A850

PN58B860 probably the best set? But is the cost worth it?

So as we can see as of late Samsung has been really busy release set after set after set.. And with pricing all over the place it is kind of at least difficult for me to keep up with the exact difference.

I understand the B series has the advantage over the A series of being brighter and using less power? Is this correct?

And that the PQ only goes up in 6 and 8s? Not sure on the 7s. That basically the 8 series has a better light filter?

I have looked at the Panasonic S1 and V10, but for some reason when I was looking at S1 next to Samsung 58B650 it just didn't impress me.

So overall I like to get feedback on what people are recommending for best value or for any other reason.

If anyone has a website with all the features listed by model that would be great I figured I can start a excel spreadsheet myself just to keep track of things.

·
Registered
93 Posts
...the samsung plasmas look really good to my eye in terms of PQ, and the slim form factor of the b8xx series is a big plus for me. people will warn you against samsung plasmas in general and the b8xx series in particular, so if this worries you you can try to find a local dealer. just FYI, i think the b850 is easier to find locally than the b860, and i'm not sure there's really much different between the models...

·
Registered
203 Posts
The B850/860 are basically just thinner versions of the B650. They also have an upgraded anti-glare filter (and the 6 series has an upgraded filter vs. the 5 series) but I don't know how much of an upgrade it is.

I have a B650 and love it but if I had the money I would have went with the 850 or 860 for the coolness factor. Don't know anything about last year's A series models.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 58B650 and love it but if I had it to do over again, I probably would have gone with the 560 to save some $$ since I don't need all the media junk that comes with it (I have a PS3, so I can do everything the TV can do and more with that....and better)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Forget lasts years models... there's a reason they are much cheaper.

58B560/B650 almost as good as the 850/860's without being ultra thin. I chose the B650, probably would have went with the thinner version (860) if it was available at the time. But money was not an issue....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm also confused. I almost got a 63B550, but the salesman said the 58B860 (it's what he had) has a better processor than the 550, so I should get a B860 series.

Is there really that much difference between the B550 and B860 model lines? IOW, is that extra processor worth it? I really don't care about all those extra features and I have plenty of room for a pedestal mount.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow great responses guys.. So I guess the Tally is

850 860 (if money is no object)

650 for a slightly better filter?

560 for overall best buy?

How much better is the 650 filter versus the 560? What about PQ and processing power on the 560 versus the 650 or 850/860?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
OK, thanks. Figures. A few minutes after I posted, the local salesman called me back with a deal on the 63B550. Done.

I'm replacing a 67" DLP. 58" is the max for the "6" and "8" series, so I was willing to trade a bit of PQ vs. buyers remorse with a smaller size. I should have it this weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosrg /forum/post/16976245

Wow great responses guys.. So I guess the Tally is

850 860 (if money is no object)

650 for a slightly better filter?

560 for overall best buy?

How much better is the 650 filter versus the 560? What about PQ and processing power on the 560 versus the 650 or 850/860?

Actually, everything I have found indicates the filter on the 560 is the same as the 650. The filter on the 550 is less than 560 and 650.

However, I did see the 550 and 650 next to each other a couple days ago, and the PQ is better on the 650. Slightly better blacks, and better crispness around the edges. From what I've read on AVS, everyone says 550 and 560 have same processor/PQ, so if you are looking for better PQ get the 650. That will also give you internet widgets if you care, which 5 series doesn't have.

I was going to go 560 for the slightly better price, but for a couple hundred, I figure better picture is worth it, and while I am not interested in the internet widgets, if I have them, maybe they will prove nice to have later on. So I've decided on the 650. Now just waiting to find a deal I can't pass up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't want to hijack your thread but this seams like a relevant questions so here goes:

I recently purchased the PN50B650 for my home. I'm very satisfied with the picture of this TV but it seems too small in my living room and I'm considering jumping up to a 58" model. The problem is is that the 650 version of the set is appx another $1000 which I'm finding hard to swallow. I can, however pick up the PN58B560 for "just" $550 more than what I paid for the 50" 650 through a local dealer. I know that I'll be losing out on one USB port, the ethernet port, the ability to play movies from a USB drive, and the yahoo tickers.

My question is, will I be losing out on something that a good Blue-Ray player won't be able to compensate for (good models can play back divx movies from USB, have ethernet connectivity to stream netflix, pandora radio, etc) if I get the 560?

I was initially concerned that the 24p and game modes were not present in the 560 but it appears that they are. Unfortunately Samsung's website leaves much to be desired in terms of their comparison matrices. Please advise and thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.