AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation: I've got a plasma t.v. with a built-in hd tuner. I don't have a set top box to convert my signal to digital right now, all I have is analogue, but I still have HBO. I'm also in the process of building a htpc.

First of all, if I directly connect my cable to the t.v. will the ota hd shows, like some on cbs, be true high def? Will there still be surround sound if I have an optical cable from the t.v. to the av receiver?

If I have the cable connected to an hdtv tuner card in my htpc first will it then be true high def if not before? If it is then connected to the receiver using component cables and optical audio, then to the t.v. using hdmi will it sitll work? Someone told me that if it is not first converted to digital it can not be sent through hdmi. So then would it work if I just connected it to the receiver?

One way or another it wil be connected to the htpc, but I'm just not sure if I need anything else to do it properly. I'm really confused, your guys' help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
An integrated (built-in) tuner may be either a QAM tuner or an ATSC tuner. Many sets have both. They are used for two different reception capabilities.

An ATSC tuner is for over-the-air(OTA) reception, with an antenna, of local broadcast, digital(DT) programming. The network HD programming is carried on these DT channels.

A QAM tuner is used for cable reception. A QAM tuner can receive unencrypted digital channels. The addition of a cablecard and subscription is required to receive encrypted channels. Most cable companies retransmit the local network DT channels unencrypted. Channels such as HDNET, ESPNHD, HBOHD, etc. are usually encrypted.

In order for you to receive digital channels on cable, without a set top box, you will need a QAM tuner. Do you know what type of integrated tuner you have? I believe the optical output of your tv will be the audio portion of the integrated tuner.

I don't know if there are any receivers that will take a component input and convert it to an HDMI output.

I hope this helped with your confusion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.