AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a lot of discussion about Mac Mini to LCD using Toslink to Audio. My question has more to do with the best way to do it on my setup. I've tried just using a regular mini to mini audio cable and a mini to RCA... neither of them work at all, so I'm wondering if the Toslink will either.

I have a Sony LCD and Receiver/DVD Player system.

The LCD has 4 x HDMI inputs.

HDMI 1 - Tivo

HDMI 2 - Receiver

HDMI 3 - Blueray

HDMI 4 - Mini (was Media Center PC)

And I have a Toslink cable going from the LCD out back to the Receiver. If I want to watch Tivo or Blueray or the former Media Center PC, the receiver is set to TV. They each send video/audio via HDMI to the TV, and it feeds it back by Toslink to the receiver. I don't have another Toslink connector on the receiver.

Any ideas on how to hook this up?

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent /forum/post/18307237

I know there has been a lot of discussion about Mac Mini to LCD using Toslink to Audio. My question has more to do with the best way to do it on my setup. I've tried just using a regular mini to mini audio cable and a mini to RCA... neither of them work at all, so I'm wondering if the Toslink will either.

I have a Sony LCD and Receiver/DVD Player system.

The LCD has 4 x HDMI inputs.

HDMI 1 - Tivo

HDMI 2 - Receiver

HDMI 3 - Blueray

HDMI 4 - Mini (was Media Center PC)

And I have a Toslink cable going from the LCD out back to the Receiver. If I want to watch Tivo or Blueray or the former Media Center PC, the receiver is set to TV. They each send video/audio via HDMI to the TV, and it feeds it back by Toslink to the receiver. I don't have another Toslink connector on the receiver.

Any ideas on how to hook this up?

I don't know what receiver you have, but mine (Onkyo 805) has 3-HDMI inputs. I send all my media components (5) thru the receiver, including my mini, via HDMI. I have a very inexpensive 1-OUT, 3-IN HDMI switch that works fine (my Harmony 880 switches everything). Are you sending the video to the display separately for video adjusting? If not, why not send all of your components via HDMI to the receiver and video from the receiver to the display? If you have to do it the current way, how about googling for a Toslink switch ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts