AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just scored a 15" Jensen MS 500 subwoofer from cl. I bought it because it has a decent sunfire 500w amp. However I'm confused about the line level output. From the attached pic, you may see it has two line level inputs L and R. It also has an LFE in, and a single line level output besides the LFE in.
I'm confused. I expect to see two line level outputs L and R, possibly with high pass filter as in most sunfire subs as well as svs subs. What's the purpose of this single line level output? And I assume there's no high pass filter built in. I couldn't find any useful info online. Thanks a lot !

Attachments

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Hmmm...looks to be a LFE Out jack. Maybe it's there to daisy chain another sub, I dunno for sure. I googled as well but couldn't really find any pertinent info.

Why would you want to use a line level out on a sub anyways??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...looks to be a LFE Out jack. Maybe it's there to daisy chain another sub, I dunno for sure. I googled as well but couldn't really find any pertinent info.

Why would you want to use a line level out on a sub anyways??
LFE Out jack for daisy chain? sounds possible. thanks.

I need line level outputs with high pass filter (usually fixed at 80hz, e.g., svs subs, sunfire subs, some paradigms etc. not hsu, outlaw, or rythmik though) for bass management to connect to self powered speakers (no receiver) or 2-channel amplifiers (no bass management).

·
Registered
16,833 Posts
If it is labeled correctly, I would think that they are assuming that someone using the L/R inputs would be using the sub's own low-pass and would not be interested in daisy-chaining............. I guess. :confused:
Not really mutually exclusive, though, is it?

I need line level outputs with high pass filter (usually fixed at 80hz, e.g., svs subs, sunfire subs, some paradigms etc. not hsu, outlaw, or rythmik though) for bass management to connect to self powered speakers (no receiver) or 2-channel amplifiers (no bass management).
Not many subs have high-passed line-level outputs. Most are simply pass-through. Clearly, this one doesn't have either.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is labeled correctly, I would think that they are assuming that someone using the L/R inputs would be using the sub's own low-pass and would not be interested in daisy-chaining............. I guess. :confused:
Not really mutually exclusive, though, is it?

Not many subs have high-passed line-level outputs. Most are simply pass-through. Clearly, this one doesn't have either.
thanks.

from what i read Acoustic Research AR-1 used the same amp for the woofer, and " There is a line-level LFE input jack for the woofer amplifier, and an LFE output jack as well."

so most likely it's an LFE output. not useful. If I have to use two subs I can simply use a Y splitter.

·
Registered
16,833 Posts
There ARE some other options if you need to high-pass a pair of powered speakers or an amplifier, BTW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts