Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am reading this forums for more than a year now and try to catch up with newest developments.

I am starting to build my HTPC, as I am a PC builder and system engineer the tech stuff will be no issue, but these days i am very confused about the setuppossibilities Nowadays there are many possibilities even custom build software.

But what is the best solution so far between

1. a software dvd player (powerdvd. windvd, theatertek, zoomplayer, ...) which reads from a DVD ROM and which is progressive scan.

2. external DVD player with s-video, composite video and component output

3. external progressive scan DVD player.

I understand that it is always best to avoid a projector's internal scaler, so connecting the external DVD player to the projector is not a good idea. I have read that it is better to connect that s-video signal to the HTPC with a capture card (s-video in from RADEON 8500 AIW) and use Dscaler to deinterlace before sending it to the projector SVGA input. Am I right on this? Actually the PC acts an external scaler/video processor right?

So what is wrong with a software DVD player, which is not interlaced at all or an external progressive scan DVD player?

HT equipment:

Denon 1500 DVD player with s-video, composite, and component video output

Sony VA8ES 5.1 amplifier

Sony EP9ES dolby digital decoder

Sony VHS video

speakers: rear and center JBL SVA 1500, front JBL SVA 2100

I wil connect the future HTPC to a medium wide screen TV and to a Sharp notevision 6 LCD projector.

Furthermore I will use it for DVD and mp3 playback, digital recording.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The most oft-used and best solution would be to use a software player so your computer does the deinterlacing and scaling up to your display's resolution internally.

There is another option that a few use: External DVD player with SDI into the HTPC. DScaler then deinterlaces and scales. This should work just as well as software route (since it is still kept in the digital domain) but you get the ease of use of a set-top box. It also supposedly reduces judder on pans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now i really feel dumb: what is SDI? I understand it is an extension you build on your external DVD player? How does it connect to the PC? What connector/input?

Whitout SDI, the dvd player can only be connected to the HTPC using a capture card with s-video. Is this solution also used together with girder? Or is this only to be used for sattelite/tv signals

On http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/d..._Showdown.htm, I saw they used windvd against en externall DVD player, but with or without SDI i don t know, what do you say a bout this? It looks that using an external player is still the best way to go? Or is it just windvd that needs to be changed with another software player?

Less but also important for now:

OT: the ATI MMC DVD Player 7.5 does that have the cineplayer engine? What do you suggest best software player? Some have better audio, some better video quality, some have DTS. Zoomplayer can combine them all, so i see a combination of zoomplayer filters as the best solution, now i still need to know which player is best for what...:confused: Damn.... there is also thetertek player,, should be the best of best.... or not? I have an ATI card (AIW)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
SDI stands for "Serial Digital Interface" I believe.

It is a broadcast industry standard for moving around 480i video in the digital domain. Immersive Inc. will retrofit an SDI output (looks like an RCA jack) onto a few specific DVD players, satellite boxes and Tivos. You then purchase an SDI Silk card (I think they sell it as well) which DScaler will then treat like any other input. This is a more expensive route, as the retrofit costs ~$600 and the SDI input card ~$500.

The best player is a rather hot topic. The new WinDVD comes with some nice audio decoding capability. Probably the most well-respected one here would probably be TheaterTek though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.