AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using my ps3 now as a music server and organizing and going through them is a pain now. Especially since you cant search while playing music. I am getting a dac this week. What i want is something i can connect to the dac which is going to my receiver. I want something with a good interface that will play on my tv. I do not want nor need wi fi or networking. All my songs are on a 1tb drive now. The problem is its killing my ps3 because they are HUGE .wav files. About 25 songs is 1 gig. So what am i looking at. Budget is about 500 but want to keep it cheap while retaining excellent sq. thanks guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry my friend, but if you want to listen to a nice uncompressed sound & dont brake your ears with lame MP3 compression, wav is the way to go.

It keeps all the information of your cd, that's why files are big. But the quality is much nicer. With the low price of high memory HDD drives today, it's a better move to rip your CDs in Wav format, or at least in 320KB/S MP3. (lower compression)

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
OP, I normally suggest Sonos or Squeezebox (what I use), but since you want the display on your TV...the ATV comes to mind. Not sure if it plays WAV though.

I couldn't tell from your post, but are you thinking of re-ripping? You really could go lossless for less space.

CD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, all my files are already in .wav. 200 gigs worth.

Second, If i could use the squeeze box and have the display on the remote it wouldnt be a problem. Will the squeeze box do what I mentioned in the orginal post? Can i plug a hdd into it and it will allow me to browse my music on its interface.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughedgesMR /forum/post/18312057

First off, all my files are already in .wav. 200 gigs worth.

Second, If i could use the squeeze box and have the display on the remote it wouldnt be a problem. Will the squeeze box do what I mentioned in the orginal post? Can i plug a hdd into it and it will allow me to browse my music on its interface.

No, you're right; I wasn't thinking...the SB or Sonos won't take a drive directly. ATV might?

CD

·
UHD Addict
39,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiborr /forum/post/18311778

sorry my friend, but if you want to listen to a nice uncompressed sound & dont brake your ears with lame MP3 compression, wav is the way to go.

It keeps all the information of your cd, that's why files are big. But the quality is much nicer. With the low price of high memory HDD drives today, it's a better move to rip your CDs in Wav format, or at least in 320KB/S MP3. (lower compression)

Lossless WMA is a good option. Even 192kbs WMA is preferred to MP3.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/18312137

No, you're right; I wasn't thinking...the SB or Sonos won't take a drive directly. ATV might?

CD

AppleTVs require firmware hacking to enable the USB port. If the OP is willing to take those steps, it's a decent solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18313577

Lossless WMA is a good option. Even 192kbs WMA is preferred to MP3.

Yeah. I dont want to regress. I am running .wav files at 1536 kbs. Coming from 192-320 mp3 i can never go back.

Should i just buy a desktop and put a really high end soundcard with analog or optical out?

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughedgesMR /forum/post/18312243

so what will it take?

They stream off the network. You could always attach your drive to a PC, have it host SqueezeServer, and share that attached drive...but that doesn't sound like the route you're looking to go.

CD

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is really no need to use wave format. We are in 2010, not 1970 anymore. Newer codecs are more efficient and space saving. You get same quality in a much smaller file.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RoughedgesMR

Look at the Asus O!Play HDP-R1 and the AC Ryan PlayOn! HD Mini. They are both media streamers that you can plug an external hard drive into, have optical digital audio output and state in their specs they can handle .wav files.

Whether either of the interfaces is satisfactory is up to your judgement.

For more flexibility with the interface, look at the Acer Aspire Revo 3610, which is a small computer with optical digital audio output.

I haven't used any of them but have been searching around in a similar quest to yours.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinv /forum/post/18314831

There is really no need to use wave format. We are in 2010, not 1970 anymore. Newer codecs are more efficient and space saving. You get same quality in a much smaller file.

That was useful.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You could wait for the squeezebox touch which will accomodate an external hard drive. Or you could go for the WD Media player, not the Live, the first one, which is non networked. I've seen that in Best Buy for around $75. Plenty of threads about it on this forum.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe /forum/post/18326003

You could wait for the squeezebox touch which will accomodate an external hard drive. Or you could go for the WD Media player, not the Live, the first one, which is non networked. I've seen that in Best Buy for around $75. Plenty of threads about it on this forum.

The Touch will take a drive? I thought it just had a card slot?

CD

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Touch's interface won't play directly on a TV (unless I've missed something in the descriptions of it). One of the OP's requirements is to be able to use the interface from his TV without a network connection. It appears that any of the video streamers that can be directly connected to a TV and an external hard drive, handle WAV files and have an audio digital output would work for him.

The Touch has a USB port.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Most media players will give you what you want in terms of Playback for WAV

Files,also Mp3,Flac and many more Combinations to,the only problem with most media players is the interfaces are fairly basic and music,in terms of a nice functional Interface has been neglected,but as long as you can see Album cover,have id3 tag support i think youl be fine,id take a ride to large local store and ask if you can see a few media players running on music sections and see

if its really what you would like,file support wont be a problem,just styling and the interface.

T.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie /forum/post/18319072

That was useful.

I tend to agree with theinv: WMA Lossless (for example) is supposed to be an exact replica of the original when uncompressed. Doesn't seem like it's necessary to save files as wav anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts