AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about transcoders and have several questions.

#1 I have a Nec 6PG+ or rebranded Runco IDTV II Proj

#2 A Vigitec Dune

#3 An Audio Authority Transcoder that is not converting the Tri Level Synch ie Things are looking way to dark.

So now I spent money on the JVC and need to find my best solution for getting the picture out of the JVC and into my projector

BTW tried to temporarly scale 480i and the JVC doesn't do a good downrez at all.

Anyhow

What is my best solution

ie If a Samsung T-165 will take the IEEE and convert to RGBHV I'd love that route because it gives me more functionality than a transcoder.

If not I here the Extron works but I have no clue where to find one as I do not have $700 plus to spend and if I did I've heard of better transcoders at that price? Is that True?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Hank- Contact Alan for the Extron. I bought mine from AVS.

You people should always consider the deals from AVS when you are considering anything like this. Spend your money in the family!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Why are you using the AA transcoder? I run all of my component tri-level HD sources into my Dune and output RGB 1080p to my projector.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you using the AA transcoder? I run all of my component tri-level HD sources into my Dune and output RGB 1080p to my projector.

you wrote this post. I'm passing thru my Dish 6000 to my Proj. I cannot handle 1080P or was told by the person who calibrated my set that it would not work.

I read your post and cannot help but wander how you are set up. I tried last night to run component from the JVC into the PROJ and it didn't work RGsB or RGBs. YUY seemed the best through the Transcoder.

I was just using BNC breakout cables and just wiring the component out to the adaptor on the VIG.

How are you running everything into the VIG ie what cables etc.., are you using to get everything to work?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Hank:

In my opinion, the $300 Key Digital transcoder with component in and two HD-15 RGB outs performs just as well as the Extron for a lot less money. That's what I use for my JVC DVHS out converted to RGB and run to my G90.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikeM, Yeh but I'm dealing with a TriLevel to BiLevel Synch problem. Does the Key Digital solve this problem as well. I think your Proj can handle the synch when mine cannot. But I'd love to go the Key Dig route if feasible

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Hank-

I've been to Jay's house and saw his setup. I will say his HT is, IMO top gun, and the look of 1080p from the Vigatec is quite bright with excellent contrast levels. Certainly absent of the tri-level sync issues some are plagued with. I don't know much about the Key Digital as they came out with that long after I bought my CVC-200. I recall paying around $600 about 3? years ago from AVS. At that time it was really the only game in town that had the rep of working.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Don,

Thanks for the compliment. It's good to be back on the forum after my 5 month hiatus.

Hank,

Is the 6pg a 7" projector? That and not being able to scan up tp 67khz would be deal breakers for 1080p. For the Dune to transcode YUV to RGB, it has to upscale in some form, it won't just do the transcoding. I use the DB15 to bnc breakout cable with rca adapters on it to feed input 6 on the Vig. On my legacy unit, 6 is the only input that will scale and transcode, the others just pass thru.

I tried one of the first Key Digital transcoders, and it wouldn't work for me. Michael and the other great folks at Key swapped and upgraded my unit, but I never could get it to work correctly. At the time, the unit did no color space conversion, hence the tri-level sync problem. I don't know how the new model works, but I heard that it does do the conversion correctly.

Good luck....

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well now I have a dilema,

I got the Vig to Transcode :) But somehow the JVC comes back with Dtheatre tapes and says the source is copyprotected and the screen goes batty. WTF How does the JVC know that or is that?

So I have to switch outputs on the Dune? Which makes me lose my settings for the output I use for SDI, DVD and some Svid sources :( Ouch!

Now its back to the drawing board. Looks like I need a Tri Level Synch that eliminates Macro, or a new Proj that does 1080P. Ugh! @ $750 and 8 DVHS titles I question if its worth it.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Hey Hank,

I have the Key Digital Transcoder in my showroom about 35 minutes from you. I have it hooked up between my JVC 30K and HD-800 CRT projector and all looks fine here as far as the tri-level syncs are concerned. If you want, maybe I can shoot down your way with the KD unit and you can see how it looks and works on your setup???

Also, here's a great article on Tri-Level syncs from Extron:

http://www.extron.com/technology/arc...&version=print

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.