AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which DVD recorder will record TV shows that I can take to a friends house and play on brand X dvd player. In other words, which DVD recorder will record to the standard DVD format universal to all DVD players.

Tim

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Both the Panny DMR-E20 & the Pioneer DVR-7000 record to DVD-R. If recorded in "Video" mode, they should play in most DVD players.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Bernie R. If you are looking to record TV and you want it to play on just about every DVD-ROM or DVD-Video based player then your best bet is the Philips DVDR 1000 and DVD+RW.

DVD-RAM recorders from Panasonic are not really compatible at all and are mainly used for data storage because of built in defect management.

DVD-RW from Pioneer is nice but it won't let you edit or partially rewrite recorded shows and it won't erase old recordings in non-compatible mode.

They have an online contest to win a DVD R 1000 here

http://www.freedvdrecorder.com

Hope this helps,

todd

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Not to mention price. The Pioneer and Phillips are pricey. the Phillips 1500 model is $1599, but it does include interlaced Component Inputs AND a Color Pronto Pro remote.

I've seen the Panasonic for less than $799. Also, double sided DVD-RAM discs are now available. No word on double sided DVD-R or DVD-/+RWs yet.

ps. Is there any other mode than 'video' mode for DVD-Rs?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
You know, if it will record a program and has progressive output, would it line double incoming sources??

I wonder how it would work as a tuner for a Plasma, instead of a VCR? With faroudja processing this could be the ultimate tuner for a plasma set as well as a line doubler for satelite etc. with the side benefit of being able to record?

Am I missing something here or does this sound to good to be true :confused:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The Panasonic has interlaced output. I believe the Phillips has progressive scan output. Can't comment on the Pioneer. I downloaded the Philips manual a while back, I just thumbed through it so I wasn't looking for anything regarding line doubling.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 has progressive scan output through component video. It seems to be similar in operation to the DV-37 and DV-38A. I've seen one, touched one and played with one, but was not able to see its output. It does have the DV firewire input, which is very important to us who are planning to save mini DV camcorder video.

It seems that it would be a good idea to wait for the Phillips model.

Thanks,

Rajiv...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I spoke to Phillips this morning to ask them about the Faroudja processing in the DVDR1000-1500 and got some interesting answers.

I asked if the processing would be applied to store bought DVD's only or if it would be applied to anything coming into the recorder. Specifically if I was just using the box as a tuner. He said that it would output 480p no matter what, which to me indicates that the faroudja processing would be applied to any signal source coming into the box.

Unfortunately this guy may not know what he is talking about because I asked if it would record 720p from a high definition STB. He said yes it would! I asked him twice and he assured me that it would. In the specs the highest recording quality is 720x480 which I believe is still 480p. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that this would be able to handle a true high deffinition signal??

·
Registered
293 Posts
When is the Philips coming out?

I WANT ONE NOW!!!

Rajiv...

Edit to post - Apparently the DVDR1500 msrp is $3000!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Have any of you ever seen a DVD+RW disc for sale? They are pretty hard to come buy and VERY expensive at the moment. I can get a DVD-R disc from between 3-6 bux, but a DVD+RW from the only site I have seen them is $16. I know prices will eventually come down, but how far will they go, and how fast?

Also they are still finalizing a DVD+R standard to coincide with the DVD+RW standard. If I was going to go the plus RW route I think it would be better to wait for the +R to come out to make sure the burner will suppot those as well. Thats just my oppinion

Also on another note I have heard recently that the DVR-7000 has been pushed back at least another month by pioneer. They cancelled there orders that all the vendors made, and don't have a firm release date yet. No real word as to why.

Oh, and don't believe all the hype about DVD+RW working in ALL standalone DVD players. Its just not true. It works in about as many dvd players as a DVD-R does, but just with different players.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Chap,

Check pricescan.com for DVD-RW media it may be available for $8 a piece.

On the Pioneer DVR-7000. They are available in stores right now. My local dealer sold his consignment of 3 immediately. The local Ultimate Electronics has a couple in stock and one on the show room floor.

Rajiv...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I couldn't wait. I've ordered the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 from my dealer for $1395 total including delivery. The Philips is probably better, but I didn't want to pay more than $1400 for any DVD recorder at this time. I figure this is isn't my last DVD recorder either.

What can I do, my wife demanded one to match her new miniDV camcorder! ;)

Rajiv...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is this for real? And is it the $900 color pronto that controls just about everything? If so, this is a pretty good deal for 1500.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
That link is for the 1000, it does not include the Pronto Pro, only the 1500 does. I don't know the price on that but probably closer to $2500.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rsg_1
Chap,

Check pricescan.com for DVD-RW media it may be available for $8 a piece.

On the Pioneer DVR-7000. They are available in stores right now. My local dealer sold his consignment of 3 immediately. The local Ultimate Electronics has a couple in stock and one on the show room floor.

Rajiv...
Re-read my post. Nowhere in it do I mention DVD-RW. I was speaking of DVD+RW being expensive and hard to find (and you can't find it on pricewatch).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.