AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung LN40b630 and I am attempting to tweaking the settings. One thing I don't understand in what I read about contrast is that they tell you to turn it down. The "Picture Perfect HDTV Tune Up Tips" guide on CNET says most sets looks best between 30%-50% contrast.

However, the author of aforementioned article suggests settings for the LN40b650 and recommends setting the contrast to 91.

I don't understand the contradiction. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedongtea /forum/post/16851865

I have a Samsung LN40b630 and I am attempting to tweaking the settings. One thing I don't understand in what I read about contrast is that they tell you to turn it down. The "Picture Perfect HDTV Tune Up Tips" guide on CNET says most sets looks best between 30%-50% contrast.

However, the author of aforementioned article suggests settings for the LN40b650 and recommends setting the contrast to 91.

I don't understand the contradiction. Any help would be appreciated.

30-50% Contrast on one TV might look comparable to 45-75% of max contrast or 20-34% of max contrast on another TV if one is comparing them side by side. Some TVs at max contrast still have slightly dull whites, and others are blindingly white before you reach 100.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Backlight throws a wrench into the calibration plan. Some go low backlight high contrast. Others go Low contrast high backlight.

I was in both of those camps as I have been going thru the setups.

Now I am more of a moderate on the backlight and moderate on the contrast.

If there is one thing I wish is that LCD had backlight set at factory and you just adjust contrast as you want.

I have an LG 30 inch that works this way and I love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.