AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just learned horrific news (yea, horrific, lol)

since christmas i've been slowly building my first home theatre, a nyc-bedroom setup.. so can't splurge like total splurge.. the key for me was "value".. best quality for the cheapest price...

bought new home entertainment system

Kenwood HTB-205

bought a new tv

KV-27FS100 (non hdtv or edtv, just regular 4:3)

bought a new dvd player

Panasonic CP72S (with the highly rated Faroudja chip)

etc etc.. basically all was well.. i was happy with the sound, quality, and the picture oh.. the blessed yummy picture

but i learned that the faroduja doesn't even come into play unless i was using progressive scan.. right now no matter how good the video is and whatnot.. it's still 480i

ARGH!!! my world's broken..

i only have one question since my brain is literally exhausted.. High Definition TV Receiver

do i need a "top box" or "Set top box" HDTV receiver? will that be sufficient so i can play/use my progessive scan dvd player on my regular wega tv???

for example: items like:

Zenith HDV420

stuff like that is what i need right??? or items in the thread

" Run to Best Buy!!!!!!!!!!"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

right?? once i buy that.. i'll be able to set my dvd to progressive scan and it'll feed it to my tv.. right??

ARGH *reeling from shock, brain numb*

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
An HDTV STB will not allow you to take advantage of the capabilities of a progressive scan DVD player on a SD (standard definition) TV. Off the top of my head, I don't even know of any HD STBs with a component input. And, in your case, it wouldn't make any difference. The signal from your professive scan DVD player, even if you passed it through an HD STB, would still be downrez'ed to 480i to be displayed on your TV.

The capabilities of the TV are the limiting factor. If it only displays 480i, you can't make it display 480p or true high definition for that matter. With an HD STB hooked up to a standard definition TV, you can watch over-the-air or satellite HD channels and they will look very good and you can watch regular SD OTA and satellite channels, but you'll still only be getting 480p. Any higher resolution material has to be downrez'ed to be displayed.

I bought a progessive scan DVD player two years ago and hooked it up to my old standard definition TV with a/v connections at first, because I knew I was going to replace my TV with an HDTV within a year. Only when I got my HDTV could I switch the DVD player to progessive scan mode with it hooked up to the HDTV via component cables and take advantage of progressive scan.

If you don't intend on replacing your TV anytime soon, you probably could have bought a cheaper DVD player. You're handcuffed by the limitations of the TV.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the clear and concise answer crash_cor . ( it was what i feared..

unfortunately buying an hdtv isn't anywhere on the horizon for me.. argh this is so infuriating

thank you

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Too bad as you could see a night and day difference with HD signals and DVD's.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Seng
Too bad as you could see a night and day difference with HD signals and DVD's.
rub it in! RUB IT IN!!!!

*goes to a corner and breaks down openly*

*sobbing*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.