AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NEC XG110LC CRT projector. (Currently not setup) Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before the ISF tech comes.

For DVD playback I have a SDI modded DVD player that will be going to a Holo3d card and then to a 9500 with Mike Parker Mod. From there it will go to the PJ. The audio will go from the DVD player to my Lexicon. So I think I am pretty much set there.

Now this is where I am confused.

I just got Digital Cable. Cablevision iO for any Long Islander out there. IT has the capability of HDTV channels. Currently they have 4 channels and all I need is their HDTV Cable box and a HDTV television.

Now how do I go about getting the cable viewed on my projector? I want to scale it right? Do I use Dscaler? Or does the Holo3d card do that as well? Do I need a TV capture card? What about the HDTV channels coming through on the cable? Do I need a HDTV card also?

I am really not concerned with any recording or Tivo stuff. I just want the best picture.

I have read the FAQ's but I still can't seem to figure out what will work best for my setup.

TIA!

·
Registered
826 Posts
You need to connect the HDTV capable STB directly to the projector.

Your NEC should have multiple inputs, including multiple high bandwidth inputs such as RGBHV, and Component (Y Pb Pr). You would just switch b/w the STB's and computer's output on the NEC.

You will connect the Radeon to the RGBHV port using the BNC connectors and connect the HD STB using the Component (3 wire) cable. This assumes that the STB has Component ouput. If it has DVI with or W/O HDCP then you're SOL.

The STB should allow you to send all programming over its high bandwidth connection. For example, when watching SDTV channels, you would get an image thats pillarboxed on the 16:9 screen.

The H3D card accepts only 480i on all of its inputs including component and SDI. The only way known to get the STB's HDTV signal into the PC will set you back some $10,000.

If you were to get an HDTV PCI card, it will not allow you to capture the Digital Cable's signal as they are using QAM - which no HDTV cards currently support. The HDTV card would let you get OTA HDTV signals into your computer for archiving and playback.

As for capture cards, you already have one :) - the H3D.

You can use that to scale SDTV from the Digital cable to what ever resolution you choose for your NEC - no need for Dsacler per-se.

Andrew

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey blueshirt,

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, I'm just a fellow Islander (and I assume from the name Ranger fan) who is considering iO's meager HDTV offering. I'd appreciate it if you would post a follow-up on your experience with the service and equipment.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Andrew. So I think what you are saying is that the HDTV Cable box should have 2 outputs. The HDTV one will go straight to the PJ and there should be another output, s-video I assume, will go to the H3D card. Which with do the scaling. Thanks...

Sean, Don't get me started on it right now. They were supposed to bring me a HDTV box but didn't. Now I have to schedule another appointment.

On top of that, I touched the cable box and got a shock. not a little one, but one that knocked me back and hurt. Lights went out. Not good. I disconnected the cable from the box and got another shock right from the coax that is coming form outside. Right now Cablevision and LIPA are on their way back.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ouch...

I guess CV and LIPA must have their wires crossed. ;)

You may not need the svideo out of the cable box if the XG is going to be your main display. The STB should send the SDTV signal upconverted to HDTV through the same component outs.

Andrew.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.