AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a CO-OP this past weekend and the seller left his entire home theatre setup. I have been reading the forums for the past month and a half and have a pretty decent understanding of the people on the boards passion and look to grasp it as well. Now I know that my equiptment is not great and budget is limited due to marriage in 4/02. I do anticipate to change equiptment out as money allows. I will make another post when I have all the info gathered on my equiptment but what I would like to know now is this:

I have a Proscan 53" TV (2yrs) no component connectors, just coaxial (2), svideo (2) and video (2). The reveiver I have now is a techtronics but I am buying tonight the Pioneer VSX-D850. I have a DVD player that has component outs, and a PS2 that can have component outs which go into the new receiver and from there a svideo cable to the TV. Is the components going into the receiver a waste at this time and should I just use svideo? Down the road I will have HDTV and have all component wires for it. I understand that composite

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think it's a waste. If you go the component cable route, you end up saving some money (albiet, not a lot) by not having to buy an extra S-Video cable. Just make sure that you buy long enough component cables to attach to your future HDTV.

If you go the S-Video route, then you will still have to buy component cables in the future.

I couldn't find anywhere what the bandwidth of the component video swithcing on the Pioneer VSX-D850 is. I've read on this board that >50MHz (I believe) is what is needed. If the bandwidth is less then you will have some signal degredation.

I don't think there's going to be any major breakthroughs in component cable technology in the near future. ;)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
To get the s-video output that's needed by your TV, you'll need to use the receiver's s-video inputs. Only a few high-end receivers include transcoders from component to s-video, although it's starting to become more common. As best I can tell from Pioneer's Web pages, the D850 doesn't include that feature.

See http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...2,2246,00.html

Sorry.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like Selden says, you won't be able to take advantage of the component cables since your ProScan does not have component inputs. If you run the component video into the VSX-D850 it will only come out of the component outputs of the VSX-D850, it won't be converted (transcoded) down to the S-Video output. Likewise with composite. Pretty much, the receiver will output it (through the monitor out connection) the same way it comes in; e.g. if you hook up a VHS VCR using composite, a DVD player using component, and a Satellite using S-Video, each one will come out of it's respective monitor output port. The VHS will come out of the composite monitor out port, the satellite will come out of the s-video monitor out port, and the DVD will come out of the component monitor out port. If you only hook up the S-

Video monitor output port then you won't see the composite or component pieces displayed on the screen.

Also, if you hook up the S-Video and Composite on the same input of your ProScan TV, the S-Video will take precedence and the composite will be ignored as long as the S-Video cable is physically plugged into the back of the TV. If you use both types of connections, be sure to plug the S-Video cable into input 1, and the composite into input 2 (or vice versa).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.