AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i was wondering i have the sr7009 and want to use another avr as a power amp i only have 5.1 old reciever so denon 250bt or the pioneer vsx520k i was wondering has anyone tried to connect them useing hdmi out to in #zone2 to the input aay dvd on the other avr instead of rc cables as hdmi is audio passthrough too or could someone explain why you cant do it this way 馃槙 ?

Registered
If what you're trying to do is to get the Marantz last pair of channels amplified for 7.1.4 Atmos, it's pretty straight-forward. You don't need HDMI to do this. You'd use RCA cables.

Use the analog preouts of the Marantz to send a pair of assignable surround speakers to AVR#2 via RCA cables.
You could send Rear Surround to AVR#2 and let the Marantz handle all all the height speakers, or if not possible, send Height 2.

When AVR#2 is turned on to the input you used to input the analog preouts, it will power the assigned speakers from it's Front L/R speaker posts.
You need to set a volume level on AVR#2 and leave it there. Write it down in case it gets moved. The Marantz will rely on a constant setting for room correction.
Once set up, run the Audyssey room correction on the Marantz, and tell it you have all 11 speakers. It will take care of the rest.

If you want to power another room's speakers with AVR#2, it will only play stereo using the HDMI Zone2 output from the Marantz. Just connect the Zone2 output of the Marantz to an HDMI input on AVR#2.
Verify the stereo-only limitation in the manual of the Marantz.

hi there i was wondering i have the sr7009 and want to use another avr as a power amp i only have 5.1 old reciever so denon 250bt or the pioneer vsx520k i was wondering has anyone tried to connect them useing hdmi out to in #zone2 to the input aay dvd on the other avr instead of rc cables as hdmi is audio passthrough too or could someone explain why you cant do it this way 馃槙 ?

Registered
Holly crap, you maybe the 1st person EVER to ask this question.

Well, assuming it even works, HDMI sends ALL channels to be processed by box2, HDMI is digital, box2 will attempt to do processing on it, it can potentially introduced delay and add echo to your primary box1 audio output.

Try it, I don't think anything is gonna blow up, and if it does, don't blame me :) I wager pretty much nobody have used this method.

Registered
Verified on Marantz's site
https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/109/~/using-the-hdmi-zone-2-output

It looks like I misinterpreted the Denon Zone 2 usage for using the speaker posts for the stereo limitation. My mistake!
https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/339/~/hdmi-/-zone-2

So it looks like Zone 2 can have 5.1 channels (or 7.1 if you use the Pioneer and another amp)

If you want to use it as an amp for the last 2 channels for 7.1.4, I don't know if it will work, since the other 2 only process and amplify 5 channels. You couldn't get Rear Surround or Height/Height2 channels to the other AVRs this way.
If you want to offload Rear Surround or Height/Height2, you'd be stuck with RCA again.

hi there i was wondering i have the sr7009 and want to use another avr as a power amp i only have 5.1 old reciever so denon 250bt or the pioneer vsx520k i was wondering has anyone tried to connect them useing hdmi out to in to the input aay dvd on the other avr instead of rc cables as hdmi is audio passthrough too or could someone explain why you cant do it this way?
Holly crap, you maybe the 1st person EVER to ask this question.
Well, assuming it even works, HDMI sends ALL channels to be processed by box2, HDMI is digital, box2 will attempt to do processing on it, it can potentially introduced delay and add echo to your primary box1 audio output.
Try it, I don't think anything is gonna blow up, and if it does, don't blame me :) I wager pretty much nobody have used this method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts