AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to split signals (like an ab switch) to input to my mits 1080 monitor. My mits monitor only has one input for hd. I have MY HD card in a pc and a pioneer tu-hds20 hd box. I use the pc card for OTH and the HD box for DTV. On top of it all I have Ultimate TV. Anyway I want a way to have some type of splitter or ab switch to switch between the PC and the HD box and not lose the HD signal. Is there such a thing? I am using VGA to 5 RCA to connect from my pc to mits monitor. I use a regular 3 rca to 3 digital rca for the hd box to the mits monitor.

A second question is on the connection from the pc to the mits monitor there are 2 extra rca cables a yellow and something else, are those for audio or something else?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm using the Radio Shack Cat # 15-1978 switcher for this purpose. Works great with no detectable signal loss. Search the forum for other comments on this unit.

Jon

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
For expanding the inputs on your Mitsubishi, I recommend the Zektor HDS4 (disclaimer: my company). There are a couple other swithers out there, just search the forum for 'component video switch'

The VGA breakout cable has five signals, all of which need to be connected; Red, Green, Blue, H-Sync, V- Sync. I believe the MyHD card can also output YPrPb, so if you are using it in that mode, the H and V Sync lines are just along for the ride.

-Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was looking at your switch. What extra advantages would I pick up by using the HDS4 over the radio shack switch? Currently I have everything going through my Yamaha RXV1000 receiver using all digital cabling. I really do not have much going through my mits monitor it is mostly going through the Yamaha receiver. My only need now is to add an extra output on my mists big screen so I can switch between my HTPC and my HD box. If there is something I am missing on using my receiver? Are there any extra conveniences or quality gains that would make it worth the extra $250 over the RS switch? I am sure the quality in you product is better but do I really need it?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The radio shack switch was not designed for high bandwidth component video. I have read reports here on this forum on both sides as to wether it passes the signal without degredation or not. Your milage may vary.

That aside, it is a hand operated switch, so you need to get up to switch it, as compared to the HDS4 with it's IR reciever.

In the future, you may also need component video inputs for a progressive scan DVD player, and if you are a gamer, PS2|Xbox|Gamecube.

-Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,

I have a progressive scan dvd, is it loosing something going through my receiver via s-video or digital cable to the mits monitor?

Dave

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Dave,

You should NOT be connecting that DVD player via s-video unless it does not have a component output. I have the Zektor switcher that Bill mentioned (actually, I've got 3 of them) and they work great. The most important features to me were:

- 4-to-1 component video switching

- 4-to-1 digital audio switching (optical or coax)

- controlled by my existing remote

- low-profile design

The unit works great. I figure, given all the money invested in my display device, cables, STB, other components, etc., why cheap out on the switcher?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.