AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about connecting my gigaworks pc speakers to a standalone receiver such as the Onkyo TX-SR606?

Here are the connections on the sub:

And the receiver:

·
Registered
775 Posts
You can't. Your receiver has no pre-outs except for the subwoofer. There is a way more invasive way to hook up your speakers however. It involves cutting. Really though, what in the world do you wanna do that for anyway? Computer speakers should stay on the computer. Get some real speakers to match up with a real receiver.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarEll /forum/post/14237346

How would I go about connecting my gigaworks pc speakers to a standalone receiver such as the Onkyo TX-SR606?

The gigaworks pc speakers can be connected to a receiver with [a full set of] 7.1 Surround Pre-Outs, such as the Onkyo TX-SR705 [or the Yamaha Rx-V663].

The Onkyo TX-SR606 has only the .1 Pre-Out for a subwoofer connection. So don't buy an Onkyo TX-SR606 if you already own these speakers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is probably going to sound like gobbledygoop to you knowledgable people but couldn't I just connect the outputs from the receiver directly into the speakers and the pre amp output to the sub?? Or would that just blow the speakers?

That 705 looks good but its around £600 compared to the £400 of the 606

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I'm guessing you already own the speaker system...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarEll /forum/post/14242049

This is probably going to sound like gobbledygoop to you knowledgable people but couldn't I just connect the outputs from the receiver directly into the speakers and the pre amp output to the sub?? Or would that just blow the speakers?

No, this system is probably designed with a crossover in the sub assembly. And [possibly] BOOM, although you may just get UNacceptable sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarEll /forum/post/14242049

That 705 looks good but its around £600 compared to the £400 of the 606

Yamaha DSPAX763-BLACK Yamaha DSP-AX763 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theatre Amplifier in Black Price: £429.99 [or less somewhere else.]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-DSPAX.../dp/B0018T77S0

·
Registered
525 Posts
from speaker out to line level in on the speaker system, you can make this or shop around and find a better deal on something like fleabay item number 220157350419

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/14242105

(1)I'm guessing you already own the speaker system...?

(2)No, this system is probably designed with a crossover in the sub assembly. And [possibly] BOOM, although you may just get UNacceptable sound.

(3)Yamaha DSPAX763-BLACK Yamaha DSP-AX763 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theatre Amplifier in Black Price: £429.99 [or less somewhere else.]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-DSPAX.../dp/B0018T77S0

(1) Yeah, owned the speakers for a few years now and don't really want to part with them. They've served me well

(2) Well I guess that puts the 606 out of the picture, didnt like the chance of accidentally blowing the speakers anyhow.

(3) The price of the Yamaha is more what I was aiming for. Is there anything major missing on it that the Onkyo 707 has?

btw thanks for everyones feedback

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarEll /forum/post/14242562

The price of the Yamaha [DSP-AX763] is more what I was aiming for. Is there anything major missing on it that the Onkyo 707 has?

Given that you already own the powered 7.1 speaker system, you are really just looking for [the functions of] a pre-amplifier/surround-processor or tuner/pre-amplifier/surround-processor; using a receiver to do this could be considered overkill.

You have given no indication of how you plan to use your system, e.g., number and type of AV sources, or which decoders must be included. So making an intelligent comparison of the Onkyo's and the Yamaha's feature sets for you is not possible. The gigaworks pc speakers and Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver are a somewhat incongruous combination...?

You would get better advice on what to buy by posting in the "AMPs, Receivers, and Processors" Forum, but the value of the help you get will depend heavily on how well you can define and articulate your requirements...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts