AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not possible. An equalizer needs to be inserted in either a processor loop or tape monitor loop. Modern receivers unfortunately do not have those features.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Depends which receiver he's referencing. Some still have tape monitor loops. And if he's talking about a stereo Integra or Onkyo receiver it may actually have Main In and Pre Outs to do the loop.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michwill36 /forum/post/18200132

is it possible to connect an equalizer to an onkyo or integra receiver? if so how is this done?

Possibly (as Obi-Wan Kenobi once said)...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Er...why do you want to do this? Equalizers really should not be necessary (excepting something time-domain based like the Audyssey, which is different). EQ is generally used to try and patch up problems in the system/room...but those problems often cannot be fixed by an EQ!

And yeah, you would need pre-out/main-in jacks or processor loop jacks. What receiver do you have? Picture of the back panel? Also, what EQ do you propose to use?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit /forum/post/18201404

Er...why do you want to do this? Equalizers really should not be necessary . . .

I still have dbx dynamics and BBE processors on an analog input to my AVR to be able to 'fix' problems with an occasional older cassette/VHS tape, or sometimes a really dreadful mastering job on a CD/DVD (usually something that was originally a badly mastered tape then a botched transfer to disk!)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The external EQ idea can work with a modern receiver depending on what your goals are. It will not work to modify anything but the analogue pre amp signal paths. You really can't use it for 5.1 or 7.1 theater modes. That's better left to the receivers internal EQ features. Here is what I did. I have a pair of Cerwin Vega CLS-215 towers that I use for 2.0 music and are not used in my 7.1 theater. I use my receivers zone 3 pre amp, which has no internal provisions for equalization. The pre amp signal runs to a DBX1231 EQ. Then to a CV-2800 amp. The EQ is overkill for most having 31 bands per channel and being able to boost or cut up to 15db. It works great for my application, but most would not bother with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts