AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung 550 52 inch and a Motorola 6416 HD cable box connected by HDMI. I have a Panasonic SC-HT900 that I connect with component. The DVR has limited storage capacity and Cable One does not allow an external drive to be connected. For a variety of reasons, I want to add a media center PC.

If I add this http://www.compusa.com/applications/...582&CatId=1812 to the mix, how do I connect everything so that I can record TV in HD?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Your link doesn't work.

There are a lot of limitations. Most likely you won't be able to do what you ask for without some compromises. Here are some of the limited options.

To work with media center.

1. Add a ATSC tuner (Over the Air). Of course this will limit you to what ever your antenna can pick up.

2. Add a QAM tuner to be used with cable. Limitations on this are you can only get what the cable provider leaves in the clear (not encrypted) usually only the locals.

3. Buy a cablecard PC and deal with all of its limitations (too many to go into). Needless to say it's expensive and full of DRM.

4. Add a HD PVR that will record from the cable box component output but it currently does not work with media center.

Lot of options (although all limited so some extent) so it all depends on what you are willing to live with.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Work for what? You never say what HD TV you are talking about. To get your locals in HD yes, to get cable premium or digital tier channels then no.

That machine has a WinTV-HVR-1800 as a TV tuner card. You can either get Over The Air (with an antenna) digital TV or clear QAM from your cable provider. It will not work with your cable box to get HD channels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant "does this work" as in does the new link I posted work. As it is now, the only way I have HD is thru my digital cable box. Also, I do not care about copying HBO, etc.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes, the link works. So to your original question. You connect either an antenna (if you are in an area that received over the air broadcasts) or the coax cable from your wall outlet to the back of the PC and you will get your local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX and CBS plus a few others) in HD. You will NOT get cable channels in HD (ESPN, Discovery, CNN, Travel HD, Scifi HD an so on...).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts