AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Samsung un55mu8000 telly. It's connected to our wireless network (5GHz). We have a lot of video content on a Western Digital EX4100 NAS that is connected to the wireless router via an ethernet cable. We haven't figured out how connect to the NAS with the UN55 to view the video content. A saw a thread from 2015 that said you had top use an HDMI cable, which is not viable unless we punch a hole in wall and floor. We'd appreciate any help in achieving this connection.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
No-no-no. The infrastructure is already in-place, both TV and NAS are on the LAN, that part is over and done, what you now need is software. DLNA comes to mind, that's basic client-server thingy available on many devices. Can the NAS run a DLNA service? Does TV have DLNA capability? Manuals are Godspell. Another more modern service is PLEX.

If NAS can run a service but TV doesn't have it then you need to add a STREAMER as a client. A HTPC can be this client. This streamer/PC WILL be directly attached to your TV/AVR.

If NAS can't run any AV service, then a PC needs to intervene to run this service, it needn't to be powerful.

DLNA is an old thing and not every flexible, nor friendly, but often get you started since it's often built-in and nothing to buy. Plex is more mature with a more sophisticated interface.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worked like a charm. Downside - ALL of the files show up instead of in folders. Or did I miss something? I have PLEX on the NAS but it shows no files.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
With this things, you have to set things up, ORGANIZE the way you want things to show up. The simplest organization is by folder, but if you want by Songs name, Artist, Genre blah-blah you will need to spend the time up front to set it up. Can always start with s small subset of your library see if u like it, before doing it for your whole 50,000 songs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worked like a charm. Downside - ALL of the files show up instead of in folders. Or did I miss something? I have PLEx but it shows no files.
With this things, you have to set things up, ORGANIZE the way you want things to show up. The simplest organization is by folder, but if you want by Songs name, Artist, Genre blah-blah you will need to spend the time up front to set it up. Can always start with s small subset of your library see if u like it, before doing it for your whole 50,000 songs.
Therein lies the rub. All the files ARE in folders but as I previously wrote, PLEX says there are no files, and the NAS shows every file but no folders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts