AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a magazine in the mail... I had subscribed to AVI (Audio/Video Interiors) just before they made the switch over to CONNECTED. When I looked at the front I was surprised to see that it said:

Home Theater Magazine welcomes subscribers of CONNECTED.

Apparently, CONNECTED ceased publication as of the Oct. 2004 issue. So now, I'll finish out my subscription receiving Home Theater Magazine. What a relief. I think HT is a much better mag than connected ever was in it's short run. I would love to have the original AVI back, but short of that, I'm happy they replaced by subscription with HT.

I'm curious what folks are receiving who already subscribe to HT mag. I hope there is another substitute title and 2 issues of HT mag don't show up on your doorstep.

· Registered
2,320 Posts
I received the same Home Theater magazine and insert, but I took it that they were trying to drum up subscriptions to Home Theater magazine - not that Connected was defunct. But looking at their website now, it looks like you're right - it looks like they're just online - kind of odd for a magazine's website to not have a space to order a subscription...

AVI... RIP :(

· Registered
25,287 Posts
AVI was exciting for me for several years, Connected looked like it was trying to do too many things, just my take. I've been hanging out in magazine stores for more than 30 years and the shear number of magazines compared to times past is just staggering. You have to wonder about the niche each has. I never liked Connected because I loved the great and complete photo spreads of awesome home theaters which AVI did and Connected didn't. If it is gone I won't miss it either.

Art

· Registered
839 Posts
I really enjoyed AVI, but like they said in 13 Going On 30 a "redesign is the kiss of death." I did not like Connected, and wanted AVI back. :(

I'm already a Home Theater subscriber. Wonder what will happen with that as well.

Mojo

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mo,

I think most people like AVI better than connected... I know I really enjoyed the eye candy of AVI. But, I'm guessing that readership was down or they would have never considered changing it in the first place. Then they went to connected, and likely readership plummeted even more.

If you're a current connected subscriber AND HT mag. subscriber, let us know what they send you.

· Registered
190 Posts
I received HT the other day, but I didn't know why. I hated the way the pages were layed out in Connected. Besides, I only subscribed to AVI to look at the pictures.

· Registered
839 Posts
"I only read it for the articles." :)

Mojo

· Registered
3,639 Posts
I always used to want to build a theater that would be featured in AVI. But alas, that will never happen now. HT is a good mag. Never looked at Connected, guess I may never get to.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
I never subscribed to AVI or Connected, but I recently let my HT Mag subscription lapse.

Maybe I am ink-and-quill, but if I wanted to find out about the latest sound card or MP3 player, I'd buy PC World. Also, HT Mag's emphasis on K-Mart type HTiB systems and inflated ratings of gear made the mag less and less relevent to me. I was about a year behind in reading HT Mag, Stereophile, TAS, TPV, SGHT (k.n.a. Ultimate A/V), so I had to drop something. The other four aren't perfect, but at least they are mostly covering gear that would be an uptick for me, not a downtick.

I suppose there are a lot fans of HTPCs and portable music players, but I am not one of them. I don't care if HT Mag and others move in that direction, as long as there are mags and web sites for guys like me, too.

· Registered
5,604 Posts
I will not miss Connected in the least. Dave, thanks for letting us know the good news.

Edit: I do miss AVI, however.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
I had a 2-yr subscription to AVI and they changed the format twice. The last change was to Connected so I sent them a note after the first issue and they gave me a full refund. Last week, I picked up a copy of HT Mag and it was much better. I also picked up a copy of a Stereophile Ultimate AV, which I think is a fairly new mag. It seems to concentrate on the higher-end market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.