AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of designing a new house, and I want to incorporate a video surveillance system. I know absolutely NOTHING about these systems, and a google search shows everything from popular consumer brands like d-link, with single-camera products, to no-name (to me) brands that offer multi camera packages.

I'd like to do something on a small scale for the next year in my current home, and that would mean a wireless system. For the new build, I would not be limited since I can run CAT6 or coax anywhere. Ideally, I would get something now with 2 or 3 indoor / outdoor cameras that would scale for the new build.

Other features of interest:
  • Local Recording (not to on-board storage, but rather my hame server or NAS)
  • Remote monitoring of live feed
  • Local monitoring of live feed
  • Motion detection
  • Good night vision performance
  • Decent range/optical zoom
  • Audio integration, maybe, but that's not critical to me, especially if I mount the camera pretty far away from what I'm surveilling.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I know we are all focused on home theaters and entertainment here, but this seems like something some of you might have experience with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am in the process of designing a new house, and I want to incorporate a video surveillance system. I know absolutely NOTHING about these systems, and a google search shows everything from popular consumer brands like d-link, with single-camera products, to no-name (to me) brands that offer multi camera packages.

I'd like to do something on a small scale for the next year in my current home, and that would mean a wireless system. For the new build, I would not be limited since I can run CAT6 or coax anywhere. Ideally, I would get something now with 2 or 3 indoor / outdoor cameras that would scale for the new build.

Other features of interest:
  • Local Recording (not to on-board storage, but rather my hame server or NAS)
  • Remote monitoring of live feed
  • Local monitoring of live feed
  • Motion detection
  • Good night vision performance
  • Decent range/optical zoom
  • Audio integration, maybe, but that's not critical to me, especially if I mount the camera pretty far away from what I'm surveilling.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I know we are all focused on home theaters and entertainment here, but this seems like something some of you might have experience with.

Thanks!
You want IP cameras with POE. Dahua and Hikvision are very popular and both offer wireless options. I use both and have zero complaints. Check out forums like IPcamtalk and cctvforum for good info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts