AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in Connecticut (06472). I checked antennaweb.org and they show stations in all different directions (all within 180 degrees of each other though). Is it possible to receive all or nearly all without having to adjust a directional antenna all the time? I was hoping I could put a big antenna inside my closed garage door. The door isn't that thick and faces the westerly direction, which I think is the center point of where all the channels come from. I can use as much wallspace against the garage door as I want, it just would be good if it didn't stick out into the room much though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It sounds like you're desired location might dictate the antenna to get more than anything else.

First, it's possible you could receive all the stations if they're not too distant, and if there's no issues of multipath (where the signal is reflecting off other objects and arriving at the antenna slightly out of sync with the primary signal). 180 degrees is rather wide for something like the CM4221 or CM4228, which would otherwise be ideal since they're only about 7" deep, 36 inches high, and 21 inches wide (CM4221) or 39 inches wide (CM 4228). However they're really more directional than you probably want to try.

Perhaps you might try the Silver Sensor first, maybe adding a preamp like the CM7777. It's got a rather wide sensitivty range, so would definately pick up 180 degrees forward, but also quite a bit from behind, which probably increases your chance of multipath problems. THe Silver Sensor is compact and really an indoor antenna, but quite a few people here have good experience with it.

The only real way you're going to know what will or won't work is to try things out yourself. It really would be more practical if you could mount an antenna in an attic on a rotator. DTV broadcasts really are designed with that sort of setup in mind... a directional antenna and a rotator.

If the stations you want to pick up are more than about 40 miles from you, the Silver Sensor probably will have some trouble.

Another thing to consider is your garage location... if you park a car on the other side, you're likely going to severely increase multipath problems by reflections off the metal of the vehicle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dswallow: Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. There's no car in the garage, but there is often one in front of it in the driveway. There's an attic 3 stories up from where the projector will be (the garage) where I could put an antenna, although I've never been up there and I'm a bit frightened of what I'll find :D. It looks like I need to do more research on types of antennas.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sorry, that's what I meant... a car in the driveway, as in being in the path between your antenna and the broadcast towers could be a problem.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Do a search for posts in the HDTV Forums in last few months containing the term "Connecticut". There are several. Connecticut has some VHF DTV assignments which the Silver Sensor is not designed to receive, and the transmitters are spread out over too large a geographic region to be satisfactorily received by an omni-directional "flying saucer" type antenna, even if multipath is not a problem. You will need either a VHF/UHF antenna with a rotor, or maybe even two fixed antennas with an A/B selector switch (unless you are using an RCA DTC-100, which has two separate antenna inputs).

·
Registered
46 Posts
The SS won't do the trick for CT since you need VHF for ABC and WB (which registers as 20-1; but I think is 12). I do okay with a Terk indoor antenna on top of my components. I live in the Hartford area; and can't pull New Haven in with this setup though. My guess is that with a decent outdoor antenna, you'll pull in everyhting without movement.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Panda, I am in Milford and feel I am having the best reception I can with my hardware. I am using a channel master 4228 with cm amp and rotator (this is a must!) I can pull in CBS from NYC, ABC from New Haven, PBS from Bridgeport but not WB from Waterbury. FOX and UPN from NYC are lower power from NYC but coming from same place, Empire State Bldg, but usually I cant get them. I hope that by the Fall of this year, the towers are done up in the Farmington area for WVIT (NBC) and WTIC (FOX) and broadcast with some decent power and will pick those up. Also, WFSB (CBS) I can not get as from what I understand they are broadcasting at a very low power.

What am I saying here.......I dont know!!! Seriously, I am new to this too, but I can tell you this, YOU MUST HAVE A ROTATOR and AN AMP!!!! I tried without one and no good, depending on the weather a station can come in better (or just come in period!!) by moving your antenna as little as 2 degrees in any direction. Good luck and I will tell you my channel master 4228 is working great and I think it is a fan favorite along with a couple of other antennas here in the forum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool I didn't realize that the rotators come with a remote control and remember the channel positions and everything. I wonder if it would be possible to use some kind of universal control to control both the tuner and the rotator at the same time, so I could just press the channel up button to get to the next channel.

Maybe that would be possible with one of those hdtv pci cards for the computer? I don't have any of my equipment yet, but it seems like the computer would allow for more customization.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThePanda
cool I didn't realize that the rotators come with a remote control and remember the channel positions and everything. I wonder if it would be possible to use some kind of universal control to control both the tuner and the rotator at the same time, so I could just press the channel up button to get to the next channel.
I've programmed my Home Theater Master MX-700 to do just that. But you can't do it as part of the channel up/down process since there's no knowledge by the remote of what channel you're on. The MX-700 (and MX-500) have a favorites section you can program with macros for up to 50 different favorite stations. The macro I have for each over-the-air station changes the A/V input of the receiver to the DTV tuner, changes the video input of the monitor to the DTV tuner, adjusts the antenna, and sets the channel on the DTV tuner. Real simple. :)

There is an emerging standard (EIA/CEA-909-based interface) for a "smart antenna" that will allow the DTV receiver to have more control over the antenna by way of a data channel to the antenna device identifying the station being tuned. No current receiver supports it -- the standard is in development -- though I suspect how it's being worked with right now with existing equipment is through a device connecting to the RS-232 port of the DTV receiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.